1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

put CD-RW drive back in comp now comp wont turn on..

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by hockeyfan, Jun 30, 2007.

1. hockeyfan

hockeyfan Member

So my sister accidently kicked her cd-rw tray while it was open and knocked it off the track. My dad in all his infinite wisdom took the tray out without telling me. Well I got the tray back on track and hooked it back up into the tower and now the comp wont even turn on. Any suggestions? If this thread belongs in another subject I apologize.

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

check to see if the ide cable is on wrong. try the pc without the drive connected

3. hockeyfan

hockeyfan Member

Whats an IDE cable? I assume its the black rectangular plug with all those holes in it right? There's that then a square shaped plug with all these colored wires going into it.Try leaving the drive unplugged and turning the power on? Thanks

4. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

the ide connector is the black 1 & the power connector is the rectangular with 4 wires in it, yellow, 2 blacks & a red.

5. hockeyfan

hockeyfan Member

Ok I hooked everything back up and tried powering on the comp and got nothing. I also left the drive unplugged and tried powering up the comp and still got nothing. What can I try next? Maybe its a power problem or something?

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Everything else is setup right? The power switch at the back is turned on, as well as the mains cable attached properly? Also, check if any cables have come loose inside.

7. hockeyfan

hockeyfan Member

Power switch? I didnt know there was one of those. I will check though. There is an orange looking button I think...I will double check though. I think everything is still hooked up correctly, but I will check anyways. Thanks for the help!

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yep, most power supplies (although not all) have power switches at the back these days.

9. hockeyfan

hockeyfan Member

I am gonna go check that right now. I'm gonna feel stupid if there is one haha! Do you think it is that orange switch looking thing? It has numbers on each side of the switch...like voltage numbers or something.

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

No you mustn't touch that, that sets which voltage your PC uses. I assume what it shows is correct?

11. hockeyfan

hockeyfan Member

Uh oh...honestly I have no idea if anyones messed with that switch. If memory serves me correctly I think the switch was to the left. Other than that I didnt see any kind of switch. Grrrr...this is so frusterating. I'll open it up and see if there are any loose connections anywhere. Thanks again for the help!

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The switch has numbers on it, if you're US you want 100 or 110 showing, if UK then 230 or 240.

13. hockeyfan

hockeyfan Member

Thanks man I really appreciate it. I'll be sure to post what happens.

14. hockeyfan

hockeyfan Member

Well it was on 230, so I switched it back to 115, and tried powering it on and still got nothing. :( I'm pretty much screwed aren't I?

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

If it was on 230V, and you live in a 115V area like the US, I'm afraid you got owned. That's instant death for most PCs. Try replacing the power supply unit, it may so happen that everything else in the PC still works. Make sure with the new one though, that it's set to the right voltage!

16. hockeyfan

hockeyfan Member

Oh man that sucks lol! I'll look into that power supply unit. Thanks again for the help.

P.S. Its a Dell 2300 Desktop I think. Is there any power supply you would reccomend?

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Hmm, the fact that it's a Dell gives us yet another problem. A lot of Dell Power supplies are a different shape so that you can only upgrade/replace them with Dell Power supplies and pay a fortune to do so. Not all, however. Measure up the rear of a normal Power supply and see if it will fit. Here's an example image, do the screw holes/shape match?

[​IMG]

18. hockeyfan

hockeyfan Member

Yeah the holes match up.

19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

OK. Luckily then, you can buy any ATX power supply. Why not buy that one, or one similar?
    The 480W Version of the Hiper Type-R's only $40 from Newegg I think now.

20. hockeyfan

hockeyfan Member

Bout time I got some good news lol! I mean we have 3 other comps in the house, but that particular comp had the DVD Drive, CD-RW drive and was really good. At least I learned something today and will never let anyone else in my house touch a comp thats messed up haha! I heard about that site newegg.com a friend of mine buys all her stuff from there and she says they have really good prices. Thank you so much for all the info and reccomendations. I will let you know what happens. Have a great day!