1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Putting a different DVD Drive in another XBOX

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by primetim3, Dec 31, 2007.

1. primetim3

primetim3 Member

ive been banned from Xbox Live and was wondering if it was possible to get another Xbox 360 and use your same dvd drive that was flashed and put it in that xbox. so were basically swapping the drives becuz i heard that the ban is in your xbox and not in your DVD Drive...

2. bhetrick

bhetrick Active member

You can put your old drive in a new console, but it's not as simple as just swapping drives. You would have to go through half the flashing method for the new drive to get the key, and then reflash the old drive with the new key.

So it's easier to just flash the new drive.

3. fudpucker

fudpucker Regular member

if your going to buy another why not do like alot of us do, keep one for backups and one for live.
    i like to play alot of games but there are only a few i like to play online, so getting the or.g game out for a few hours of live play isnt to bad, plus my kids can play there games while i play mine.

4. primetim3

primetim3 Member

well see the problem is that the new consoles drive is the Hitachi 79 and im not good with soldering stuff to the mobo...it would really help if you gave me more information on refashing the drive to get the key :)

5. bhetrick

bhetrick Active member

Right now the only way to get the Hitachi 79 in to mode b is to solder on a Passkey. There is no software-only method. You have to get that key from the 79 drive to be able to drop your old drive in to that new console.

6. rxpc

rxpc Member

Yep, no software fix for those 79 drives. And I don't think there will be one anytime soon. However, I have heard of people using older 46/47 Hitachi drives and using the NME V2.0 chip. It bypasses the key and makes soldering easier because the older Hitachi drives don't have the epoxy problem.