1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Putting a x8 speed media in a 16x drive .... What will happen

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by AndreL, Dec 9, 2004.

1. AndreL

AndreL Regular member

I read some where that it was proven on myth Busters (that show on the Discover channel) that when you do that (put a low speed media in a hi speed drive) the cd or dvd does not crack or break apart.

2. tomripley

tomripley Member

I don't think there's any need to prove that, as fast burners should handle low speed media just fine.

All media is certified, or at least should be, to be recordable at a certain speed (4X media at 4X, etc). The firmware in DVD burners also contains data about what speed various media can handle, so when you put a given disc into the drive, it will know what recording speed to use.

However, the reason that some media can only handle slow recording rates is NOT that they would break apart if spun up to 16X, but has more to with dye and a lot of other technical stuff. In fact, while you may only be able to burn a given disc at 4X, in most cases you should be able to read data from it at 16X.

3. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hey AndreL,I saw that episode a while back. They may have meant hard drive disc speeds as they are making 10,000 rpm hard drives.Heck if a regular cd can burn at 48x without shattering then a 16 x burner shouldn't even notice it.If you are like me and have a 16x burner,I have no trouble burning at the slower 4x speed which I prefer for fewer errors.If you do want burn at 16x,then make sure it is pretty good quality.Later

4. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Keep in mind that burning a DVD at 16X is the rough equivalent of burning a CD at 144X (20MB/s). Basically the spindle speeds are the same if not a bit more :)

Last edited: Dec 10, 2004
  5. catfreak

catfreak Active member

... On that episode of Mythbusters, they couldn't even get the drive to spin a disc at 48X ... They had to use an angle grinder motor to destroy the disc ...

6. AndreL

AndreL Regular member

Thanks ... and what is the technical stuff

Last edited: Dec 10, 2004