1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

putting an encoding so others can't copy

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Zanadu, Nov 23, 2003.

1. Zanadu

Zanadu Guest

I have a business where I record my customers wedding, birthdays and other special occasions onto DVD-R's. My finished product can easily be put into a PC and other DVD'd can be made from it.

If there is a such a program that allows me to encode a DVD-R after I make it...this encoding should not affect the viewing and/or playing of the DVD-R when it is played in DVDPlayers.

Is there any such program that can do this.

2. Matador

Matador Regular member

The MPAA wastes alot of money using CSS encryption.With most of this DVD backup apps, It only take a few clicks to break tru that encryption.If they can't stop Piracy, then what makes you think we can?

3. Zanadu

Zanadu Guest

I guess I asked the wrong way. I know all ecryption can be broken; however, not everyone knows how to do it. Therefore, if I can put an encryption on it it will make it difficult for the ones that don't know how to do it. As of right know anyone can copy it as it has no encryption at all.

4. Matador

Matador Regular member

As of now I don't know any encryption that a small bussiness can use that can help.

Master of your own fate
    That’s fair enough, you might think: after all, the point isn’t to make life easy for pirates. However, you can’t add such copy-protection to DVDs that you create yourself on the SuperDrive either.

This is a limitation of DVD-R as a whole, not just the DVD-R for General format: according to the Pioneer white paper, neither DVD-R(g) nor DVD-R(a) media can store CSS encrypted video content. In fact such encryption is added at the DVD mastering stage by commercial replicators.

As it happens, Apple’s DVD Studio Pro software is technically capable of recording the instruction to add encryption. (You check a box in the “Properties Inspector” in the software, which sets a “flag” that tells the replicator that you want CSS or Macrovision.)

However, the further complication is that the DVD-R(g) format supported by the SuperDrive cannot be used for creating masters for commercial replication.

At present, DVDs are normally pressed from masters on DLT tape, not from discs of any variety. However, Pioneer’s white paper explains that the 4.7GB Authoring media specification supports a feature called Cutting Master Format (CMF) that enables these DVDs to be used instead of DLT master tapes for commercial replication. This uses a portion of the DVD-R(a) disc’s lead-in area to store the Disc Description Protocol (DDP) information normally used on DLT master tapes. “General media [DVD-R(g)] does not accommodate this feature,” says the white paper.

@ http://www.macmail.com/features/articles/superdrive.phpcom/features/articles/superdrive.php

5. DSYF3R

DSYF3R Regular member

Just about every comercial protection (CSS, macrovision etc.) is done at time of manufactur, what this means is that the master copy, has no protection (oterwise they would not be able produce them) and the protection is added in the manufacturing process (when discs are stamped. The best you could do is put a copyright warning on the disc, and tell your clients that copying the disc in any way would constitute a breech of that copyright...

6. cheezzzz

cheezzzz Regular member

Are movies of a wedding of your clients copyrighted material? If I'm right, you would like them to come to you for additional copies and charge them extra? Sounds like MPAA, Jr. Lol!!
    Just my 2 cents.

cheezzzz_X_X_X_X_X_[small]Just another lonely Hawaiian with:
    P4 2.66Ghz, 120gb HD (7200rpm)
    2X512mb DDR333 (PC2700) SDRAM
    Sony DVD RW DW-U12A(OEM for DRU500AX)
    Smartipper/DvdDecrypter
    CloneDVD/AnyDVD
    Dvd2one/Nero6Ultra[/small]

Last edited: Nov 23, 2003
  7. Matador

Matador Regular member

I read some were you can buy special DVD-Rs called DVD-R(A) for "Author" and you can write CSS encryption on it...So far I haven't been able to locate this Special "DVD"s

Thats what you call good bussiness strategy!!^__^_X_X_X_X_X_[small]Intel D875PBZ - P4 w/HT 3.0GHz 800MHz FSB 512KB Cache - 2GB DDR PC3200 - 760GBs [1x500GB - 1x160GB -1 x60GB +x40GB] - GeForce FX 5700 Ultra 128MB - Sony Dru-510a[/small]

Last edited: Nov 23, 2003
  8. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

My race photographer's work is just stamped with a copyright notice and he lets it go at that. He even has hundreds of thumbnail shots on his website. Hopefully the people who use your service will find it easy and affordable to get copys of the event for their friends and family.
    Good luck!
    Frank

9. hectar

hectar Guest

You could try giving away a free copy of DVDxcopy Express with your wedding dvds - that way none of them will be able to copy it!

snigger......

Ol Hectar

gittin' wiser by the minweeto