1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Putting AVI files onto DVD-R --- pls help this newbie!!!

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by verwood, Mar 12, 2007.

1. verwood

verwood Member

Hi,
    I have just bought a home dvd recorder - an LG DR175.

Using my PC, I managed to put 4 avi files onto a blank DVD-R, it then played fine on the new home player. I used Nero to burn the files to disc.

However, I have tried to make another disc and for some strange reason it won't play on the home player - the files appear in the list, but it won't allow me to play them (format issue - according to player).

So, I must have burnt them onto the disc in a different manner, but for the life of me I don't see what I did differently?

So questions:
    1. When nero asks if I want to "burn as a multi session", what should I do?
    2. Is there another piece of software (other than Nero) that I should try?
    3. Am I missing something - why won't the disc play - even though the other one I made did?

2. rdmercer1

rdmercer1 Active member

more thain likley the reason the other disk won't play is because the disk is not finilised, and that meens that you can still put files on the disk, so if you want to make sure your dvd's play in your home dvd player make sure that the disk is finalised, hope that helps, also if I want to "burn as a multi session, say no unless you want to put more files on that disk

3. verwood

verwood Member

Thanks for that - how do I finalise a disc using Nero? Or is it automatic?

I don't remember doing that before - but I will try anything!

4. anubiscrs

anubiscrs Member

hi I just change my avi files with winavi video converter to vob file and then burn with nero on sony dvd-r. never had a problem, they always play on my home dvd player

5. verwood

verwood Member

OK, so now I am really puzzled.
    I just put 4 avi movies onto a DVD.
    2 movies played - but 2 created a "wrong format" error on the player!

Why - when they are ALL avi files?

Am I best to convert the AVI files to DIVX?

I don't want to convert them to VOB because I like the idea of putting 4 movies on one disc.

6. attar

attar Senior member

I can't remember where I read this, but it makes clear that 'AVI' and 'DIVX' & 'XVID' aren't interchangeable terms.
    Your player probably spells out what wants as far as DIVX is concerned and I have come across AVI files that didn't meet my players requirements.
    'GSpot' can indicate exactly what format your file is in, but in any case it's probably easier to convert files to DIVX.

7. verwood

verwood Member

I tried running the GSpot thing, but wasn't too sure what to do with all the data!

I think it best if I convert the AVI to divx (as you suggested) - how do I do that? What software should I use?

8. attar

attar Senior member

In this example, under 'Video', top-right, it says the file is DivX 3 and the video and audio codecs are installed.
    If the codecs are installed, click on '1' then on '2' and your video will appear in a window.
    So you would just copy this file to your Disk and it would play in yourDIVX certified standalone player.

If the file isn't divx, then it could be converted with the likes of Dr.Divx.

http://stage6.divx.com/Dr_DivX
    I think it's free.

[​IMG]

9. coolguyz

coolguyz Member

Hi,

How should I burn my Divx files on to DVD ..I mean should I burn it as a Data DVD or video DVD or any other way ?

I am using Nero to figure it out? As there are plenty of options available in Nero so Can someone pls clarify my doubt?

Thanks

10. attar

attar Senior member

Put a blank dvd in the burner and if you have a shortcut to Nero StartSmart or Nero Express, elect to make a Data DVD.
    Make sure you burn at half the maximum.(If you put the disk in the drive after starting Nero, you can't change the speed)To see the speed options, click on the arrow on the left side of the panel.

[​IMG]

11. verwood

verwood Member

There are too ways (or so I discovered).

One, burn the avi file to disc. This will then be playable in most players that can play divx files.
    However, I did find that some avi files wouldn't play on my player due to the codec not being up to date.

Or, convert it and burn it to DVD.
    For that, I use a really easy program called ConvertXtoDvd. If you google it, you will find it fairly easily. It can be downloaded free to try out.

Hope that helps. There are some more knowledgeable people on here, so I'm sure they can offer more technical help if needed!

12. attar

attar Senior member

@coolguyz, Just to be clear, to play those AVI files on a standalone player, the player must be DIVX compliant else the files have to be re-authored to 'DVD format'.

13. verwood

verwood Member

AVI files will not play on a normal DVD player unless it has the DIVX capability.
    If this is the case, convert them using the software I mentioned above.
    (ConvertXtoDvd)

14. coolguyz

coolguyz Member

Thanks All for all your responses.

1. My DVD Player is DIVx compliant.
    2. I checked those videos using GSpot and they were all showing Divx/xVid format under Video.

2. Y'day I tried burning divx videos using divx player ..but when i played that DVD in my player then it complaint of disc not recognized. Am I missing something here?

I will try burning them using Nero as mentioned by 'attar'.

[​IMG]

Any inputs.

Thanks

15. verwood

verwood Member

No you are not missing anything.

I had the same issue. gspot checked all the right things for me too, but some files (only a few) still wouldn't play.

I now try each file on a RW disc before burning a final copy. Then, for the files which won't play, I convert using the software I mentioned before.

A bit long winded but I see no other way yet - unless someone else can?