1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Putting LABELS ON DVDs?

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by CKY_2084, Feb 6, 2005.

1. CKY_2084

CKY_2084 Guest

I was wondering if you can put labels on a regular backed up DVD disc or do you have to buy special DVD Rs if you want to put printed labels on them?

2. jamacaboi

jamacaboi Regular member

You can place a label on any DVD you want if you buy the labelling kit. However many here will tell you not to since it causes the disc to become "unbalanced" when spinning in your PC drive or full size DVD player. This can cause play back problems in the future. Its your call.

I now burn and right the name on the disc with "sharpie" . If you want to still print an image onto the disc, buy white or silver top inkjet (OR thermal) printable blank DVD's which allow you to print directly onto the surface of the disc. The inkjet is way less expensive, you will also need an Epson 200 or 300 to use the inkjet printable DVD's. The thermal printer would be required for the thermal printable DVD's which I understand is expensive.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2005
  3. Gottawin

Gottawin Regular member

CKY, If you must use labels, I would suggest using the clear plastic ones because they weigh alot less than the paper ones do. Plus I have not heard anyone say that they have had a lot of errors with them (yet).

4. CKY_2084

CKY_2084 Guest

Yeah Im buying the EPSON R200 this Thursday at Best Buy. Does Best Buy sell inkjet printable media? Also can someone get me a link for some TY printably media that is good and can be used in the Epson R200. I need TY 8x DVD+R Printable but not sure which places are good to buy from online because I keep hearing bad things about Supermediastore so if someone can send me a link Id appreciate it.

5. camstuf

camstuf Guest

Just got my Epson R200 & media at Fry's Electronics. 25 pac of DVD/R for $14.99,
    I'm a happy labeling camper!!!

6. sakmd

sakmd Member

cky...

here's a link that i found here some time ago that may help you in terms of recommended sites to buy media:

http://digitalfaq.com/othervideo/buymedia.htm

not sure what bad things you've heard about supermedia store, but i've ordered from them a few times now (ty white hub printable) and haven't had any problems...with their service or the media itself. at any rate, the above link will provide some other places to check out....

sakmd

Last edited: Feb 9, 2005
  7. flx2000

flx2000 Member

8. CKY_2084

CKY_2084 Guest

Thanks for all the help. I bought the EPSON R200 and I love it. Best Buy didnt have any media but the problem is I already had 100 DVDs backed up that are a few months old so I just put some regular MEMOREX PAPER LABELS on them and then used the EPSON to print directly on the disc to get a feel for it and its a very nice and high quality printer. Anyways my DVDs dont bubble in the middle and still work fine, but I have an expensive set top player so that could be a good factor for me. Also I ordered 100pck WHITETOP TY DVD+Rs from SUPERMEDIA store and also 100 DVD cases and case inserts. The printer came with a whitetop CDR and I printed on it to see the difference between paper and inkjet printable and the quality cant even be compared with the paper labels. With this printer and the quality Ive seen from it I bet the movies will look just like my originals. Cant wait to finally get my collection looking professional. Thanks for the help!

9. kenkell

kenkell Member

My buddy has an Epson 200 and he's been printing on his printable dvds for a few days now. After he scans the original and prints it out, it looks like the real deal! His only problem is the ink will wash off if ever he would get it wet. Any solutions to this? Do they make clear laminate type covers to put over to protect it and do they work good or cause problems playing in the dvd player?

10. sakmd

sakmd Member

kenkell...

i have an r200 as well and have been printing on ty white hub printable discs. i've been using an acrylic sealer on my discs. once you've done this, you can spill water on the disc and nothing will happen to the printed side. i use an acrylic gloss spray called patricia nimock's. can be found in the arts and crafts section at wal-mart. doesn't take much, and the finished result is quite nice. adds a little more brilliance to the disc. the spray also comes in a matte finish.

sakmd

11. kenkell

kenkell Member

Thanks for the info! My friend is thinking about doing the same thing! He heard about an acryli type spray sealer too, but was leary about using it! I'll let him know! Thanks again!