1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

putting new motherboard in old computer

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by frogballs, Jul 6, 2007.

1. frogballs

frogballs Member

I have an e-machines T2742 that just recently died from a problem common to e-machines...power supply and mobo died. According to my own research, this is a common failing of e-machines computers.

I don't want to buy another after market computer from Dell, Gateway, e-machines, or anyone else. I want to put one together myself.

I wondered something...instead of buying a new case and parts, would it be possible to put a different motherboard and CPU in this machine, and recycle my HD, DVD-RW drive, 3.5 in floppy drive, etc.?

Specifically, I would like to upgrade to a Biostar TA690G-AM2 AMD Socket AM2 MicroATX Motherboard...
    And I would like to use an AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ 2.0GHz / 1MB Cache / 1000MHz FSB / Socket AM2 / Dual-Core (Windsor) / Processor with Fan.

CAN I MAKE THIS SWAP? Or will there be problems with fit?

Of course, I'll be upgrading to a larger power supply (adjustable fan with 400 watts or better).

Here are the factory specs on my recently deceased e-machines T2742:

Operating System: Genuine Microsoft® Windows® XP Home
    CPU: Intel® Celeron® 2.70GHz Processor
    128KB L2 cache & 400MHz FSB
    Chipset: Intel® 845GV chipset
    Memory: 256MB DDR (PC 2100)
    Expandable to 1GB
    Hard Drive: 40GB HDD
    Optical Drive: DVD/CD-RW Combo Drive (48 × 24x16 × 48); 3.5" 1.44MB FDD
    Video: Intel® Extreme Graphics 3D
    64MB Shared memory
    Sound: AC '97 Audio
    Network: Intel® PRO 10/100Mbps built-in Ethernet
    Modem: 56K ITU v.92-ready Fax/Modem
    Peripherals: Standard Multimedia Keyboard, 2-Button Wheel Mouse, Amplified Stereo Speakers
    Ports/Other: 6 USB 2.0 ports (2 on front), 1 Serial, 1 Parallel, 2 PS/2, Audio-In & Out
    Dimensions: 7.25"W x 14.125"H x 16"D

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

you can use the existing parts but might want to get a new case as possible the existing case wiring is not currently compatible with new board. could also do that rewiring but depends on you as i've done a number of times on different brands of computers.

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

out of curiosity, what brand is the power supply in there? If that's a common issue I'd like to know who's at fault. Assuming the case is ATX size (measure your existing motherboard, since it's dead it doesn't matter if you touch it)