1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Q on CD-R playing

Discussion in 'Convert DVD to another format' started by GLsu1, Oct 31, 2001.

1. GLsu1

GLsu1 Guest

I have Go-Video DVR4000 unit. The manual says I can play Video-CD and SVCD on this unit. However in the technical specifications section of the manual, it states CD-RW and CD-R are not compatiable.
    Does this mean I can not play any Video-CDs I made onto a CD-R? And if so, are there Video-CDs and SVCDs with content that are sold in stores? I have never seen any? Maybe I am not recording my Video-CDs correctly. Maybe theres a specific format?
    I am using Nero 5.5 to burn, cladMdec, tmpge.

2. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

3. GLsu1

GLsu1 Guest

Thanks for your reply.
    The only VCD I have tried is a couple I made with Nero, using CD-Rs. The player says "no disc".

4. dRD

I refuse to believe that the player doesn't allow CD-Rs -- I suggest checking that you "finalized" your CD when you burned it, that causes "not recognized" problems every now and then. Also, changing the type of CD-R media might help you -- try to get some dirty expensive CDs like TDKs and try with them. And remember, real CD-Rs, no CD-RWs.

5. tom909

tom909 Member

I also have the dvr4000 and have unsucessfully tried playing vcd's through the player, I have tried sony, memorex music, and a couple other generic brand cd-r's which all work in other players. I'm gonna keep trying because it makes sense that it should be able to read a cd-r.

6. GLsu1

GLsu1 Guest

Thanks for your reply!
    Well, after many attempts I have given up. The manual actually says "plays video-cds". But it also says in the technical info area, DVD specifications (p53) that it is not compatible with "cd-rw or cd-r". I purchased this product without proper research....plus I didn't have a cd recorder in my computer at the time of purchase. So I wasn't looking out for cd-r or cd-rw compatibility. I am hoping someone will prove me wrong and tells me the secret to this machine. Will save me from spending more money re-buying a dvd player.

7. dRD

As always, I recommend that you take a look at http://www.vcdhelp.com/ -- they have very good list of DVD players that people have tested and how they behave with DVD-Rs, VCDs, SVCDs, etc..