1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Qoob - Upcomming no-swap modchip.

Discussion in 'Nintendo Gamecube - General discussion' started by Artlover, Mar 23, 2005.

1. gulliver

gulliver Regular member

I still see no explanation as to why it needs passthru. I guess we'll find out when it's released.

I'm not saying I don't believe you about the difference between it have USB and parallel. It just doesn't make sense to me. I see it as just a more convenient way of flashing the chip. But I'll take your word for it.

2. L-Burna

L-Burna Active member

It's cool man,I am just speculating is all.For all I know I could be wrong about the bios.At the momment though not enough information,probably when it comes out they will reveal more if it is a true no swap.

3. Artlover

Artlover Member

This is just assuming and guessing on my part, but how about this.

A lot of people use full size media and do so by taking the top of their cube off, which means the lid sensor switch doesn't function correctly. So maybe it's there for these people so the qoob can send phony lid open/close commands like for 2 disc games that need to see that that disc swap took place.

4. l34merik

l34merik Regular member

the chips sound cool and maybe too good. I'll just wait until it comes out and people have actually brough and experimented its quality first

5. AceMilo

AceMilo Member

Artlover that is possible. However, if that is true, then, again, multidiscs won't work since the gc stops the disc then respins it when the lid is opened/closed which is controlled by the gc. With a passthru, the chip intercepts those signals. I guess it would be possible to actively intercept the signal and send a "lid is closed" messsage after x seconds, but if it could do that the viper could do that too. AFAIK the bios on the chip isn't active, its just active until it loads the game. I don't know if the passthru just jumps those wires internally (look at the ripper where you have to jump those 2 pins on the lid sensor, I'm thinking the viper/qoob just does this solderlessly) or if it actively intercepts and sends signals, but if it does, then the viper can do everything the qoob can do afaik. We defintely do need more info tho. I think there is a lot of hype involved and ppl aren't thinking about this enough. I don't care if it is real or fake, I'm not speculating on the validity of the chip, I just want to know more. A true no-swap chip would have no need for a lid sensor passthru, altho you are right you couldn't use full size discs with the lid off, but at the same time there will be no 2 disc games. It doesn't seem like its an option on the install either, it looks mandatory from the pics on their site. I dunno, looks fishy.

6. Squished

Squished Member

Want a good solid reason the qoob would need a passthrough for the lid sensor

<speculation>
    Because it needs to detect when the lid has been closed so it can feed fake BCA info to the laser mech in prep for a boot.

It sounds to me that it is more likely tapping into the fact that the lid is open/closed than attempting to prevent the cube from seeing the status of the lid.
    </speculation>

Gawd, now I feel like the geezer of the group. 38 and soldering since I was 7 on model railroads. Similar interests to Artlover... Programming in 6502 assembly at 14, building custom add-on cards and burning eproms at 16. Had all the roms replaced in that Apple II with a customized basic and full lower case support.

edit: Hmm... Looks like AceMilo came to the same conclusion first. Ohh well, that's what I get for not reading the whole thread before posting.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2005
  7. DixonButz

DixonButz Member

Where does it say the Qoob has a pass through?

8. AceMilo

AceMilo Member

9. DixonButz

DixonButz Member

Thanks. Didn't know it was in the disassemble section. Haven't looked in that section for a while since I know how to disassemble a 'cube.

10. AceMilo

AceMilo Member

Taken from the cobra 1.0 bios pre-release nfo:

It appears that one of our beta-testers leaked a beta of Cobra 1.0 one month ago. We'll do all beta testing by ourselves now. We find it's an amazing coincidence that a swapless chip was announced two weeks after the leak. Please don't support thieves.

So, it appears the qoob is just a rip off of the viper after all. At least us viper users now will have the exact same thing soon :).

EDIT: Screw the qoob! Cobra 1.0 is out now, no more swapping!

Last edited: Apr 2, 2005
  11. gulliver

gulliver Regular member

The qoob should be boycotted for being thieves.

Viper is the real deal!

12. Artlover

Artlover Member

Consider the source and who they are associated with. Until someone compares cobra 1.0 and qoob's bios, I wouldn't jump to conclusions.

13. gulliver

gulliver Regular member

I have considered the source and I'm not jumping to conclusions...but I guess we're already discussing this at maxconsole;)

14. AceMilo

AceMilo Member

Well I'm only going by the nfo and what I have heard otherwise, but afaik the qoob bios is based on cobra 1.0. I had a strong feeling that the qoob was just a viper clone. The qoob bios was released tho, so if someone wants to start comparing, maybe they will be the same code. I'm gonna look at it a little myself and see what I can.

15. gulliver

gulliver Regular member

do it bro and get back to me whenever the info is available. I got people bitching at me left and right because I'm calling qoob thieves. But I gotta call em as I see em:)

16. Artlover

Artlover Member

Yeah, no point duplicating the discussion all over the place. One thread is hard enough. <smile> :p

17. indienemo

indienemo Guest

This all to off topic for me, we came to discuss the qoob chip not scrap over which chip has the biggest cock (all metaphors you understand)...

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 3, 2005
  18. gulliver

gulliver Regular member

watch your mouth bro; there's some younger kids on here.

As you can see...it doesn't really look like anyone is interested in talking solely about the cube;)

19. L-Burna

L-Burna Active member

Heh gulliver you forgot to mention the mp3 support in the Bios for Cobra or USB support.They are different man trust me,Qoob didn't bite off Cobra and Cobra didn't bite off the Qoob.For one the Viper uses parrallel port and the Qoob uses USB.The bios files have to be different,because they use different calls.I thought we already talked about this though awhile back.I don't know,just seems logical to me that it couldn't be a clone of bios files.Plus you have to think which is easier using parrallel port or USB to flash the modchip ;).I have to say I would rather use USB than parrallel anyday to flash a chip.It seems like parrallel was giving people alot of trouble,so they added the function to upgrade from disc for the Viper.Qoob will be alot different,hooking a USB cable to the GameCube could also allow external HDD support also.I can't really say that it is true or not,but an external drive runs off USB.Keep in mind though USB and parrallel make a big difference in the bios files.

20. gulliver

gulliver Regular member

Scratch that theory bro. Viper is coming out with a USB programmer soon;)