1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

quality differences DVD disks

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by poetprose, Mar 6, 2005.

1. poetprose

poetprose Member

Hello , I've been baking up my DVD disks for some time now , using several brands of DVD disks, I honestly do not see much of a quality difference between the brands, or in the + or - format.. However some of the cheaper brands don't always burn without error, I'm wondering if it is the way in wich I have backed up the disk or is it the actual disk itself?

So I'm wondering if there really is a quality issue in some of the cheaper brand disks ,
    \I use BenQ +

any feedback would be appreciated has anyone noticed a quality difference between lets say a Verbatum /vs Benq
    or any other brand disks

thx for your feedback

2. bassnut

bassnut Regular member

Yes the quality of the disk does make a difference. Verbaitim disks are concidered among the best. There is the other form ..... DVD-R Media which will cover everything..... check it out. I personaly have not tried BenQ disks so I will not comment on them but you can find out about them in th Media form.

3. jim_dandy

jim_dandy Active member

It seems you answered your own question.

4. madgreek

madgreek Guest

This is actually i feel a very important topic. I feel there is a very big difference in quality. Having bunred close to a thousand disks, there is some major differences. Some disks, such as memorex for example, don't always burn at full speed. Those disks i always have to lower a notch so I don't get a coster. TDK, great disk, but the older 4x disks don't always play in my dvd player, an old JVC that plays most things. The problem is all blank dvd's don't use a similar standard. Also the quality standards in each factory are vastly different. That makes a big difference

5. poetprose

poetprose Member

ok so if a disk is burning without any glitches period, and you get sucessful burns,each time, yet the price of the disk is say a half a dollar per disk,sale price vs/ a 2 dollar per disk Verbatum

would the difference be that discernable to the eye? or ear

that is what I was getting at ....

6. jim_dandy

jim_dandy Active member

2 bucks a disc??? you need to find a different place to shop for media.If you buy online, or look for sales,you can get verbatim,sonys,fujis for less than 50 cents a disc.
    The biggest question is longevity,will those el-cheapo's play in a year?

7. poetprose

poetprose Member

Well the cost of disks in Canada might be more than the US . Mostly we have seen Verbatums here for apx 1.50 a piece retail,But mostly 2 bucks a piece we have not purchased online for disks, however maybe we should investigate this.

>>The biggest question is longevity,will those el-cheapo's play in a year?<<

Good question
    we have been backing up DVDs now for about a year, and they seem to work fine, We were just wondering about wether or not there really is a discernable difference in quality sound &video

Have you noticed a difference in terms of quality using cheaper disks?

8. poetprose

poetprose Member

We just called Future shop and they sell Verbatums for 3.33 per disk, he said also that the average eye and ear can not discern the difference between a Verbatum verses a Benq or any other disk which you are having success with

any thoughts?

9. jim_dandy

jim_dandy Active member

Well I learned early around here, to not use the cheap media.Ive used taiyo yuden,verbatim,fuji,and ritek all with good success.I really couldnt tell you about the cheap stuff.
    Symptoms are read errors, pixilation,freezing,not playing at all.

Do a forum search, and see if you come up with anything for buying online in canada,im sure ive heard that question asked before.

10. jim_dandy

jim_dandy Active member

If they work for you ....great!

11. poetprose

poetprose Member

Well every now and then I will be watching the odd copy ,DVD and If I look at the faces especially I notice a sort of blurring out, then it goes clear, then it blurs out, but it happens so fast and so far nobody else seems to notice it but me......... wonder what that would be?

have you experienced this? btw thx for your feedback

12. mimesis

mimesis Member

That "blurriness" is because your movie has been shrunk in size to fit to a 5-DVD so you will lose quality but the quality loss is very minimal. However, using DVD Shrink you can reauthor so that the movie will not need to be shrunk as much in size this way you can save your video quality but you will lose special features, chapter selections, subtitles, etc.

13. poetprose

poetprose Member

Awh.... ok thx , laugh, well at least I know it isn't me, hehehe

everyone is teasing me saying its all in my head, but it DOES happen... hubby did say he has had some movies that did need to be re- authored

he likes DVD shrink

14. bassnut

bassnut Regular member

I have burned ..... Maxell..... fugi ..... memorex .... prodisk .... verbatim .... and Taiyo yuden. The end result ..... I have

5 Memorex left from 50
    21 fugi left from 40
    50 Maxell left from 50
    20 Prodisk left from 40

This is after one year and does not include disks that I tossed besause they would not burn or froze. Some of my problems I can blame on labels but not all.

I have just started to use the Verbaitim and Taiyo Yuden so I won't include them here. Something that is noticable with the other disks compared to the Verbaitim and Taiyo Tuden flip them over in good light ..... take a close look at the recording side especially out near the edge. All the other ones you can notice light paterns from when they placed the die on the blank .. not the beter quality disks like .... Verbatim and Taiyo Yuden especially the Taiyo Yuden. This also veries from batch to batch. I have actually had some where there was some of the die coming out the side edge of the disk, you could see where the poly carbonate did not fully close in on the disk.

Prices here in Ottawa Canada.....

Staples .... Verbaitim printable.... $74.00 / 50 .... just on sale last week or so for 35.00 / 50

Walmart ..... Maxell .... $14 for 10 .... when on sale $8.00 ish

Future Shop / Best Buy ..... Maxell $59.00 / 50 when on sale for as little as 39 ish / 50

Sprint Computers .... Prodisk 8X hub printable disk ID F01 .... $29.00

Costco ..... TDK printable ..... $49.00 / 50

Blank Media.ca .... Taiyo Yuden 8X hub printable $50.00 / 50

Last edited: Mar 6, 2005
  15. poetprose

poetprose Member

thankyou for your response, we were just wondering as to the quality in comparrison to the Benq,

Where we are located in Ontario we find so far that Future shop seems to offer the best deals for our Benqs

who knows we may just try a higher priced disk just to see if there is a difference in the quality

16. kchev

kchev Regular member

17. mimesis

mimesis Member

well if you are looking for good DVD's go to www.shop4tech.com they have disks for real good prices especially if you buy in bulk, and shipping is free.

Such as :

DVD-R 1X-8X (G05 Silver Matte) Bulk by Ritek (Great media compared to Verbatim, Taiyo Yuden)
    qty. price per unit
    25 $14.75 [$0.59]
    50 $24.50 [$0.49]
    100 $39.00 [$0.39]
    300 $114.00 [$0.38]
    1000 $370.00 [$0.37]

DVD-R 4.7GB 1X-4X Silver Lacquer by Taiyo Yuden
    qty. price per unit
    100 $37.00 [$0.37]
    200 $72.00 [$0.36]
    500 $175.00 [$0.35]
    1000 $340.00 [$0.34]

As you can see, much cheaper than Wal-Mart, Staples, Circuit City, Target, etc.

18. clowdy4

clowdy4 Member

I have used RIDATA(Ritek) for a while now and have had relatively good success with them, very few coasters. But the prices you pay for media, way too much. I pay .51 cents per disc(50 pack)for -R 8X. For 16X -R, I pay .99 cents. You should check out Computer Warehouse Outlet in the T.O. area. Or check them out online, cant beat their prices for media and hardware.

19. clowdy4

clowdy4 Member

Opps.
    Their web address is..www.cwo.ca

20. poetprose

poetprose Member

I just ran the DVD Identifier and according to that little program benq is made by Daxon... never heard of them

boy that DVd identifier is a cool program huh?