1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quality loss problems with dvd shrink.

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by colburn, Jan 5, 2004.

1. colburn

colburn Member

Been using DVD shrink to back up my dvd movies and have been noticing that with large dvd movies, SWAT was the most recent, i have been losing a lot of quality when compressing with dvd shrink.

Swat was around 7 gigs, i first had to do a level 10 compression on it, that wasnt enough to get it on a dvd-r so i had to run another compression on it, this time level 1. I find i have to do this with the larger movies, and when i do so, the movie becomes pixelated, where you can see the sqaure blocks.

Is there anything i can do to minimize this loss of quality, should i try a different prog that might work better? Thanks for any info and advice.

2. vvha

vvha Member

For some very long movies (say 3 hours+) I think splitting the film over 2 dvd's is the best way to retain good picture quality. This can be done with shrink by re-authoring.

3. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

Are you re-authoring at all, or just compressing the entire disc? Have you removed extra audio and subtitle streams?

If you're already re-authoring and the movie by itself is over 7GB with the extra audio and subtitle streams removed, you're best bet is to split it across 2 discs. If you're not re-authoring already you should try it. If you want to keep all the extras, you can also make 1 disc for the menus and extras (compress movie to still pictures) and another for the movie only (re-author and remove unwanted streams).

If you really want to shrink a 7GB movie without losing a lot of quality you should probably look at re-encoding instead of compressing. It's a more work, it takes longer, and there's definitely a little steeper learning curve, but IMHO using something like CCE or TMPGEnc is the only way to go with something that size.

4. RWG

RWG Regular member

I copied SWAT using DVD Shrink in Reauthor mode - movie only. Burned the encoded files with Nero 6. My copy is beautiful - no stops, pixelation, no problems at all.

The more DVDs I copy the more and more I chose Reauthor and only backup the Main Movie. I'm satisfied with the results -and- I can go to sleep by a copy, it doesn't go back to a menu and play music all night. It plays all the way through and stops.

On a few occasions I keep the menus, extras and movie. I'm doing that now with the 5 Band Of Brothers DVDs, each has two 1 hour parts to it.

It's a matter of taste and/or need. Some DVDs are just too large to handle ~50% compression and play well. That's when you Reauthor w/ Shrink or select Movie Only with Decrypter.

RWG

5. chris900

chris900 Member

If you guys dont want too copy the extras, or menu..you should really use DVD X Copy Xpress...Fastest program ever...no converting...just reading and writing...on my computer the whole process takes under 45 minutes..versus the 60 minute Compresssing time it takes dvd shrink to do...

6. RWG

RWG Regular member

Noop. Been there, done that, no T-shirt. Xcopy too. Platinum too. DVD Copy Plus 4.2/5.0 also. Too much censorship on their foums. Ugly 321 Backup logo on copies. 321Studios got enough of my money.

Shrink 2.3 in Reauthor mode does a great job for me. And it's free!

RWG

7. vurbal

Why would you compare one program getting just the movie with another compressing the entire disc? That's like saying everybody should use a 2x DVD burner because it can burn a DVD-5 as fast as a 4x burner does a DVD-9 split across 2 discs.

8. chris900

chris900 Member

who the fusk cares?
    shut up?
    im saying dvd shrink is gay..it takes too long..

now reply and say some other comeback shit..does anytone really care..no..so just dont say anything.

9. PsiDOC

PsiDOC Member

chris900

Did you go to the same charm school as my 14 year old daughter??

Regards,
    Psi

10. vurbal

The people who come here for help do. If you want to help others out by telling them what software you prefer that's fine. If your going to confuse them by saying things that aren't accurate, you should expect somebody who knows what they're talking about to correct you. That's the whole point here.

Thanks for that in depth techincal analysis, but I think I'll stick with the facts for now. DVD Shrink can rip a movie-only backup as fast as my DVD-ROM will allow it, which is as much as any piece of software could do. I don't compress backups so I don't really care about how fast it does that or what the end result would look like. Given the fact that DVD-Shrink is free, and does everything I need it to, I use it. If that's not what your requirements are, it may not be right for you. Apparently if you judge software on how gay it is, it may not be right for you either, but we may need a second opinion on that one.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2004
  11. chris900

chris900 Member

sorry man..i got a bit too carried away...and sounded really immature...my topic about dvd x copy xpress should have been posted in another forum..i was jus tryin too help..but my interpretation of help must of been distorted..
    But while im here...does anyone know how to disable the warning 321 studios crap that dvd x copy xpress puts on the start of yur dvd?? iv heard it can be done..if anyone knows how thad be awesome.
    Thanks, Chris.

12. PsiDOC

PsiDOC Member

Chris900
    we all go off the deep end sometimes... Specially when I am "a little worse for wear" - Kronenbourg really does the trick!!! ;) lol
    Re: your request about DVD Xcopy Xpress read this.
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/55726

It contains a little tool I am working on for removing the DVD Xcopy Xpress warning.

Regards,
    Psi

13. vurbal

Chris900: Sorry about being an bumhole about it. I understand where you're coming from, even if I am right about DVD Shrink ;D, and it's good to hear some different opinions. There isn't any 1 right way to do things and it's good for people to hear different opinions. Plus I'm glad to see people supporting 321 Studios since they seem to be the only company with the enough balls to take on the MPAA and enough money to pull it off.

14. chris900

chris900 Member

Thanks guys
    Anywho Psi i have to ask u something on yur other forum bout yur tool...ill cya their
    peace guys

15. cobruh2k

cobruh2k Member

Since I'm a newbie, I was thinking about actually buying DVD Copy Express. Does it work ok with XP? I read somewhere that someone had a problem with it running on XP? Or should I be brave and try Decrypter and DVD Shrink? Cost is not an issue; I'm not poor, but I'm not a millionaire either.

16. RWG

RWG Regular member

As an owner of all the 321Studios DVD copying programs I can't honestly advise anyone to buy Xcopy, Xpress or Gold or Platinum. Yes, they work with XP if you are fortunate enough to have the right combination of equipment. They all worked ok for me but there are horror stories on the dvdxcopy forums here on Afterdawn, http://dvdxcopy.afterdawn.com

Try DVD Shrink 2.3 and 3.0b and burn with Nero 6. You'll enjoy your experience.

RWG

17. cobruh2k

cobruh2k Member

Thanks a lot. I tried DVD Shrink and burnatonce last night. DVDShrink was so easy to use and worked very well. burnatonce was easy to use, except I didn't do the bit with the VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS folders, so I believe it did something like a false burn.

I'll retry again with BAO, and also try Nero. Very similar process looking at the tutorials.

18. LynnObie

LynnObie Guest

chris900 wrote...
    cobruh2k wrote...
    I also own all of the DVD X Copy programs & find they work great on my P4 with XP Pro. To Chris900's point, I find them very easy to use. For some things, I really like the greater flexibility of Shrink even though it takes longer and need to use 2 programs. I like each for different reasons. I understand that 321 still offers "satisfaction or money back" so no big risk in trying their software as long as you buy it directly from 321. Here's the link for the above policy: http://www.dvdxcopy.com/support/KBSearch.asp?s=ID&i=1201

19. elusiv1

elusiv1 Regular member

I used dvd shrink 3.0 for S.W.A.T. and I used automatic compression with deep analysis and looked great for me?? I usually just take the ratio all the way down on the menus,extras, and remove Spanish and French; Therfore, the main movie compression increased for me to about 66% and it looked great. I try to keep it simple man!!

20. bud2192

bud2192 Member

To the nay sayers - I just ripped and burned a movie using DVD Decrypter and DVD Shrink. Say what you will but, these programs work! I had attempted to burn only movie prior to this using DVD X Copy Platinum. That attepmt ened up producing a coaster. My experience has been that both these programs work and are very easy to use The movie is currently playing on my old Samsung DVD Player. The video and sound quality are good. If someone wants to spend $119.00 to make coasters, hey that's ok. But for my money ($0.00) I highly recommend DVD Shrink 3.1 and DVD Decrypter.