1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quality loss with Shrink? Yea or Nay

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by dbw9, Sep 17, 2004.

1. dbw9

dbw9 Member

I wasa wondering what the Quality loss is from using Shrink. I am quite pleased with most of my back-up (also a noob), but I think I see a bit of quality loss . Is this my imagination or what. What setting should I be on to obtain the highest quality?
    Thanks

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Last edited: Sep 17, 2004
  3. dbw9

dbw9 Member

I'm very new to this, but have backed up 10 or so disc's so far. The first ones I attempted to re-author ended up with sub titles included and NO audio on some of the extra features at the end that I left on. How can I determine what the extra features are, ie: titles etc. I know what the main movie will entail, but what about sub-titles, and some of the audio settings. What should I keep and what should I delete? Should I keep ALL the English audio?
    Anyway thanks for your help so far......Oh yea,
    I'm using Maxell DVD+R,(these work excellent in my burner), which reads Ritek R02-01 on DVD decrypter. Do they (Ritek)sell this with tis # or is it just Ritek DVD+R?
    Thanks again
    Don

4. Nephilim

Reathoring with Shrink can be a bit confusing at first. Here are some rough rules I follow but keep in mind that most DVD's will be different in what audio and subtitle tracks they contain.

For a straight movie only copy it's pretty easy to pare down what audio you want to keep. I only speak English and foul language so all foreign tracks get removed. After that I'm usually left with several English audio tracks that may or may not include 2-channel, Dolby Didital 5.1 or DTS. Depending on your sound system you can decide which one to keep.

DTS If you don't have a DTS capable sound system you can ditch it since DTS takes up more space than the other audio tracks.

Dolby 5.1 Since I have a non-DTS 5.1 setup Dolby 5.1 is the sweet spot for me. DTS and 2-channel get ditched.

2-channel If you have a surround sound system this is useless and wastes space.

For a backup that will still have some of the extra features it's best to leave all the English tracks unless it's obvious that it relates to something you've removed. This can be tricky territory so it's best to run through the processed film with a software DVD player to ensure everything turned out alright before burning.

Hopefully I didn't confuse you more! Feel free to post back with any more questions :)

5. dbw9

dbw9 Member

Nephilim-
    Thanks for the time and info. This site has been a terrific help in accomplising something I have been trying to figure out for quite a while..
    Don

6. Nephilim

Don't be stranger! The more you learn the more you can come back and contribute ;)

7. FLMods

FLMods Guest

Well I have been using DVD Shrink to burn complete DVD's to disk including all the extras (with nothing left out). And even though compression is needed to burn all the film to disk, the quality is still fantastic.

I tested both options, first just copying the film only without the extras, then doing a one to one copy of the DVD Film with all the menus using "Deep Analysis". And to be honest there is little difference overall.

Well I though so anyway so now I just do one to one backups rather than just the film alone!
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]DVD Film Covers
    http://www.flmods.com/forum/index.php
    ShareConnector
    http://forums.shareconnector.com/index.php[/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2004
  8. dbw9

dbw9 Member

I recently backed up a dvd that fit with NO compression,(Rare), and the quality was un noticable from most of the other compressed disc's I have done. I'm sure that very high compression results in some observable artifacts, but I'm finding that most are quite acceptable. I am very pleased with my Sony DRX 700 UL double layer, but I haven't needed the double layer option yet. Maybe in the future when the medium gets into the industry more? I'm also very pleased with Shrink And Decryter as a pair. The song at the end of Decryter is music to my ears.
    More later.
    Thanks every one
    dbw9

9. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Nephilim,
    This is kind of a dumb question but if I check only the dolby 5.1 tracks won't it still play back ok on normal 2 channel stereo and 5.1 stereo recievers as well? I've considered trying this but always check both the AC3 and dolby 5.1 audio tracks just to be safe. Right now I just play back through a 2 channel stereo but want to keep the 5.1 tracks so when I upgrade to surround sound. Thanks, Marty.

10. Nephilim

Not dumb at all, sir!

5.1 will play fine through a 2 channel system :)