1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quality of DVD media

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by Daverr, Feb 24, 2004.

1. Daverr

Daverr Member

I have a Sony DRU 500ax. It worked very well untill now. I purchased Pine 2x DVDs. I can't write to them. It appears the the dye melts at about 1 gig into the burn process. What is the problem - The writer or the DVDs???

2. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

I would bet my house its the DVD's. Try to always buy a disc that will be of a reasonable high quality so that these problems dont occur. RiDATA/Traxdata will do the job for you.

3. DaOsT

DaOsT Regular member

there is a simple philosophy in life you only get what you pay for and dvd media is a great aspect of such

have you tryed contacting the supplier you purchased them from?
    DaOsT

4. Preyzuess

Preyzuess Regular member

I have changed to all Ritek/ridata media. No errors on over 300 so far. and at $1.00 each after shipping is a very good deal. Cheaper media and a couple coasters equal same cost and less reliable.

5. pjwatkins

pjwatkins Guest

Preyzeuss where are you buying your media from?

6. Preyzuess

Preyzuess Regular member

Meritline.com pack of 100 ritek 4x -r is $91.00 for shinny or matte silver + free ground shipping. Currently you can get the printable for $95.00 and use a coupon code of mr10pct to get an additional 10% off the orderof White top and some other Ritek. So the white top to me is $93.63 ground or $102.16 second day. not bads since they are in California and I am in Maryland. And they burn 6x on my new A07 drives.

7. Nunyo

Nunyo Member

Well I wish I had the same experience with Ritek. I just got my first 50 pack of -R IJ printables from Newegg and 3 out of 4 have problems. The movies I burn stutter and stop.

After close examination of the burn surface I can see dust on them right out of the pack as well as what appears to be anomolies in the die.

I bought these discs in hope that all you giys were right about Ritek beibg the best but in my case I have to disagree.

8. Preyzuess

Preyzuess Regular member

Very sorry for your bad experiance. I have now gone thru another 500 pach from Meritline and again only 1 coaster, Which was my fault. So 1000 Disc's so far and only 2 coasters, And no more skips pixels etc. in the movices. By the way I am using 4x -R. I wish you would have gotten them from SuperMedia , or MeritLine either would have taken them back or exchanged them for you. Money back quarantee posted right on the web site for RITEK MEDIA. Also can you please give us the DVD info on the disc. Batch number etc?
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]2 PIONEER A07 / 107 8x ±
    2 TDK 440n 4x ±
    RITEK RULES !!!!
    Best way to backup that movie
    1 DVD Decrypter
    2 DVD2one
    3 Nero 6.3[/small]

Last edited: Mar 3, 2004
  9. DaOsT

DaOsT Regular member

yeah I bought a 100 ritek pink landscape dvd+r's and 2 of those crashed after just over an hour exactly the same as very inferior media does they were 60 quid for a 100 .....but use em to back up My x box games now n they work fine with those so far:)

10. Nunyo

Nunyo Member

I wish buying media were more like other things. What I mean is that there are some things made by specific companies that you may pay a little more for but you know it's top quality.

The fact that this medium is so hit or miss is a real disppointment for me. Heck I certainly wouldn't mind paying slightly more for media that I KNEW was quality and that wasn't going to waste my valuable time. Reburning in hopes that the next one will work correctly is a real bummer to put it politely.

If one of these media manufacturers would realize that by putting a consistently high quality product on the shelves they would more than likely be able to grab a larger market share. Let's face it those of us that spend the time onthese forums talking about these matters are much more in step with what's happening. By being aware of things people come to us asking for advice on what to buy, right? If I knew what media was "the best" I would recommend it, wouldn't you? But there is no "best", it's hit or miss no matter what the manufacturer is.

It's all just very frustrating to me!

Ok, rant mode off :)

11. DaOsT

DaOsT Regular member

Nunyo I agree I stick with a pretty shit brand heh they seem to like My system

I recently purchased red datawrite 25 for ~£9 works out at 31p a dvd they do what I want fine

BUT THATS My systems heh ....

12. Derodeo

Derodeo Member

I bought a 10 pack of Ritek G04 4X inkjet printable (from blankmedia.ca) and the first 5 failed with massive errors towards the end of the disc and the last 5 were USED when I received them!! Talk about a bad media experience.

I have very good luck with generic 4X inkjet printable (VDSPMSAB) which can be printed on right up to the spindle hole. Normally paying a bit extra for higher quality media is a good idea but certainly not in this case.

13. Chrispj09

Chrispj09 Member

Why are you guys using printable, use Ritek GO3 or GO4
    GO3 is 1x and GO4 is 4x. Never buy white printable. Always buy siver and purple. That's your problem if your using printable.

Chris

14. hoangh

hoangh Member

I have used more than 200 hundred printable 4x ritek dvd's with no coaster and they all play great on all the DVD players I've tried on.