1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

quality of dvd shrink?

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by wick780, Oct 23, 2004.

1. wick780

wick780 Member

I have been using dvd shrink for a while now. I copy dvd9 to dvd5 and I can't tell a quality difference. Thats on a 27" TV...I was wondering though, I'm buying a 57" Widescreen HD-TV. Will there be a quality issue since the screen size is bigger? Maybe more blockiness? What can I expect?

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Just about everyone has different take on what looks good to them. Personally I've watched many of my Shrink backups an a 55" and 65" Mitsubishi HDTV and they all looked great but some folks around here swear they can tell a differece. A large factor will be the quality of the burns and the compression levels used. Heavily compresssed films are much more likely to have quality issues when playd on a high definition television.

The true test wil be to use your own two eyes and uou be the judge :)

3. Discmania

Discmania Active member

I agree that your own eyes are best to judge, but remember that Shrink is probably the best backing-up tool around at the moment so you won't get any better quality elswhere. To ensure highest quality (less compression) remove the extras like menus and additional soundtracks and submenus (subtitles) so you back-up the movie only (re-author). Also make sure you have the 'analysis' option box ticked.

4. agent-k

agent-k Regular member

Or use RB/CCE, it doesn't get any better than that.

5. wick780

wick780 Member

Well, I prefer to make exact copies. Menus extras and everything. As long as the video quality is not horrible on a bigger tv I would be happy. It seems dvdshrink compresses excellent even when I back up the extras. I honestly can't tell a diffrence on my 27". I was just worried once the picture was blown up on a bigger screen blockiness and color patching would be there.

6. andyfrank

andyfrank Regular member

if you would like, on the new version of dvd shrink there a different kinds of compression methods...try dofferent ones to see which is better, 2-pass is much better but it takes about 2x the time, sharp method is good too for more compression, al these are located in the configuration in the program.

7. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Well, I might as well throw my 2 cents in(that's about what it's worth too, LOL).

Shrink 3.2 is the best freeware out there bar none, and it's in my top 3 for quality using all the new quality settings.

BUT, I'm with agent-K, if you want to keep everything and keep quality, then NOTHING beats RB/CCE. I have compressed over 50%, watched it on a 57" Mitsibishi TV(good call neph ;>)), using a side by side comparison with the original on split screen, at 300% magnification, and could not tell a bit of difference!

CCE basic costs 58.00, Rebuilder and everything else you need is free. vurbal has written an excellent guide to help you with setup and once that's done it is a one click app. Punch transcode and wait til finished. Then burn to disc.