1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quality of Movie: DVD-R or DVD+R, Which is better?

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by gasman42, Jan 4, 2005.

1. gasman42

gasman42 Guest

I'm not concerned with the discussion about DVD players and compatibility, but I was wondering if there is a known QUALITY difference between DVD-R (which I use) and DVD+R?
    I do use name brand media (Verbatim, Imation, Fuji, etc.) nothing generic, and can report no problems. I use a Sony 710a. I typically watch the local Best Buy, Staples, etc and look for what is on sale. DVD-R always seems to be sold out first. Assuming my DVD player can read the DVD+R, is there a preference with quality in mind between the choices?

2. MarkNZ

MarkNZ Regular member

Hello, DVD+R is the newish format and from all the info I can find is better.

DVD-R has been arround for some time and this is used also on PS2 & XBOX games..

Have Fun

3. RedAnt

RedAnt Regular member

The answer would be depending on what you will play the disk back on. Some DVD player don't like DVD-R other don't like DVD+R and yet other don't like ether. So to answer your question it depends on your equipment.

What Good is it if one Slandered is better if you can't use it.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2005
  4. pieman

pieman Regular member

quite right redant.my panasonic portable wont play +.the minus format is more compatable with players...as for quality...well its all 0 and 1s!

5. gasman42

gasman42 Guest

Well so far it seems everyone is more concerned about if the player will handle it or not. But one person said "he read" somewhere that DVD+R is better.... where? Show me. Both work in my player's, so looking toward Quality, which should I buy?
    Based on all X's & O's it really shouldn't matter, right? Does everyone perceive that +R is better just because it is the newer format?

Thanks to all so far..... lets see what else shows up.

6. Xsilver

Xsilver Regular member

I think the there is not really a big difference is the quality of branded DVD-R media and DVD+R and for that matter the generic ones.

If Sony made a DVD-R and a DVD+R (I dont know if they do or they don't, and it does not really matter)but if they did i would presume that both the discs would be made in exactly the same way as each other.

The difference in the quality of generic media can be radically different. All this comes down to is:-

1. Raw materials. If they use crap they will turn out crap.
    2. Quality Control. If a factory in china turns out 200000 of these a day and only one guy checking them. Then chances are they will turn out crap.

Also remember that some of the "Quality" branded media, like Sony and all them, sub contract out the DVD making so them 2 quid each philips dvd's are likely to be made next to the generic billy no name 40p DVD's. On the same machine your are paying 1.60 for the name.

7. Troy1x

Troy1x Guest

+R is not newer technology period. Both came out around the same time, orignaily +r was for video and -r was for data. Compatablity is the only thing that is really different now. I have used -R for almost 3 years now maybe more.

Basicly what happened companys sided with certain media in the begaining, my orignal drive was HP which was sided with +R 1x speed and then switched from that to pioneer which was -R. This was back when u paid 300-400 for a drive too, from what I know they are both good, and qualtiy should be the same. +R is not newer technology. I was even better when Sony decided to release their first multi media drive, where it supported - and + R, that lauched all the other companys to pick both sides.

-Troy1x

8. kinza

kinza Regular member

"Although fans of the DVD+R format hate to hear this, the DVD+R format is a rogue format, invented by greedy companies that were unwilling to pay royalties to the DVD Forum in order to use and develop the DVD-R format and/or use the DVD logo. The DVD+R format does not carry the DVD logo because it is not an official DVD format. Does this make it a bad format?..."

Want to read more?
    Try Here----->digitalfaq.com/othervideo/dvdformats.htm

9. pulsar

pulsar Active member

As previously stated it all just zeros & ones! It is just how your kit interprets it! There should be NO difference in quality.
    If there is, I would just love to hear the explanation!

Last edited: Jan 7, 2005
  10. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

There should be no quality difference between +r and -r formats. The only advantage I know of is the ability to booktype +r media to dvd-rom thus making it the most compatable of the two. Since I booktype all my backups dvd-rom with a bitsetting tool, I use dvd+r exclusively.

11. kinza

kinza Regular member

[bold]Mort81[/bold]

Do you need a special burner, program, or media besides +R for setting booktype? If I set the booktype as DVD-ROM will it play in a DVD player that only plays -R discs?

12. wolfniggr

wolfniggr Regular member

No difference in video quality between the two. kinza touched on why there are two formats. As far as DVD Player compatibility, there is a better chance pecentage wise on + being more compatible your player, but not by much. As for kinza's question on bookstype setting, it isn't 100% that the player will play it when it is changed. It is up to you to figure out what your player will play the best. Investing in a couple of - and + RW's will help in your experimenting.

13. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Kinza,
    Your brand of dvdrw has to be capable of booktyping dvd-rom. I know lite-on and Nec do and Pioneer will not. As far as other brands I don't know. I know there are alot of brands that are rebadged Lite-ons. You would have to do some research on your particular brand.

You don't need any special media. Any dvd+r will work. You will need some kind of bitsetting tool in conjuction with your burner. Lite-on has an official bitsetting tool you can download. I use a modified firmware tool called omnipatcher with my Litey. It will also let me adjust write stratagies for what ever media I am useing at the time.

More than likely. I've yet to find a stand-alone dvd player that won't play my backups booktyped dvd-rom. Yet it is no guarantee.

14. squizzle

squizzle Active member

My player will play either - or +. I use -R's, cause that's all my PS2 will play, but I have +RW's and I can't tell the difference in quality. Just that my burner burns -RW's at 2x and +RW's at 2.4x (big deal, it's like 2 minutes). Go with whatever works for you.

By the way, I like the article kinza

15. dysart147

dysart147 Member

Excellent article on the -/+ debate. thanx for the link Kinza

16. kinza

kinza Regular member

no prob