1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quality Problem With Adaptec Videoh / MyDVD / NTSC

Discussion in 'Video capturing from analog sources' started by acromar, Aug 23, 2004.

1. acromar

acromar Member

I've recently purchased an Adaptec Videoh adaptor to convert from VHS to DVD. I know it won't be everyone's preference, but I've been using the Sonic MyDVD software provided with it and, I have to say, I am very pleased with the results. It produces a high quality video with no audio synch problems at all. This is with PAL video as the source. When I try NTSC video, it plays fine through my computer but the recording is vastly degraded. Has anyone got any idea what could be causing this? Thanks.

2. Minion

Minion Senior member

Many Capture devices are either Pal or NTSC which could be up with yours....
    Or are you captureing the NTSC Video as a Pal Mpeg2 file??
    If so then that could also be it because the Video source resolution would need to be Upsized by the device to Pal Resolution which Degrades the Image Quality ,Pluss it might not be able to convert the NTSC frame rate to Pal....

This is Just a Guess cuz i have never owned that particular device....

3. acromar

acromar Member

The capture device is definitely PAL & NTSC. I previously had one which turned out to be only PAL & the playback of NTSC was bad. The playback here is fine, it's just the recording which is bad. In MyDVD, I set the project as NTSC (the only way to get correct playback) and then an NTSC mpeg is produced. I can tell this as I can't burn a mixture of PAL and NTSC so the software tells me it's NTSC. Thanks for the reply.