1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quality sound - how?

Discussion in 'Audio' started by mightyatm, May 23, 2003.

1. mightyatm

mightyatm Member

Hiya good peeps.

I have a decent collection of albums/singles and MP3's which I'd like to save to, for example, one CD.
    But because the quality varies from excellent/good to pretty average/pretty rough, I end up with a disc which plays ok but either my wine glass is vibrated off the table by the bass or my ears bleed due to the harshness and hiss! I'm a female who just appreciates quality sounds - I hate sound that 'does my ears in and makes me cringe'!
    Does anyone know of any sofware that can 'balance/equalize' the problem? I believe there are apps. out there that are capable of 'refining' older recordings whether on tape, record or whatever.
    Can anyone help?

2. tigre

tigre Moderator Staff Member

To make sure I got you right: You want to burn a mixed audio cd, not a mp3 (data) CD - right?

In this case I'd use foobar2000's diskwriter to create a set of .wav files and use these for creating the CD.
    http://cd-rw.org/software/audio_software/audio_players/foobar2000.cfm

foobar2000 is an advanced high quality audio player with several features that are very useful here:

- replaygain: Similar to normalizing, but much better, because the volume isn't changed according to peak levels but to perceived volume. Additionally it helps to prevent clipping.

- High quality equalizer: With this you can avoid "harshness" manually.

- high internal resolution (64 bit floatingpoint) and dithered output: For (theoretical) best possible quality

About hiss removal: I'd not recommend it, because proably it'll do more bad than good (especially if the source is mp3). If you want you could try some sound editor's hiss removal like Nero Wave Editor or Soundforge (free).

Last edited: May 28, 2003