1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quality vs. Compression ...

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by Pony321, Aug 11, 2004.

1. Pony321

Pony321 Regular member

I tried Shrink for the first time and I'm rather impressed. My first choice is DVDfab however recently I've decided rather than backup all my DVD9s to two blank DVDr discs I'll use shrink to slightly compress just the movies so they will fit onto one blank dvd. Qustion is at what point will the compression affect the picture quality in some form? My first rip had an 80% compression rating according to shrink. The Dvd consisted of just the main movie (128 min.) and one Audio (ac3 eng. 5.1) The movie looked pretty good however I wanted to also get opinions from others who are more experienced. One note is that the entire dvd if filled out to the outer edge which is not a good thing from what I've read. Most flaws on a blank occur towards the outer edge. Is this true? I'd appreciate any feedback. Thanks!

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Hi,

Quality versus compression is very subjective depending on your individual tastes and the equipment you'll be using to view your backups. My best advice is to get some rewritables and experiment to find out what works for you :)

This thread may of interest. Most of the good stuff is within the first several pages though you're free to read as much as you like:

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/88038

Yessir, it is. Many here, myself included, set the target file size to 4.3GB.

3. wylds

wylds Guest

Niphilim:
    I have been following you around all the pages I could for I have learned a lot from you and Scubapete Bigorange Etc:. The one thing that was important was that the slower the record the better. So while my burner is a Liteon 812S and supposed to burn at 8X I had difficultiues with two different media all of it being Ritek purchased from Newwegg. I had no trouble with 4X but when I tried the 8X they would always lock up on playback around chapter 11. When I changed my burn to 4X that ended that problem.
    Now what I would like to know is what all can you remove to up the compressin number. I uncheck most all audio's except AC3 5.1. My question is can I change any in the left window to make my records better or can they be changed help please.?