1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quality??

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by MervinJ, Feb 4, 2005.

1. MervinJ

MervinJ Member

Gday all.I bought a duel layer burner to stop those problems that sometimes happen when you compress your backups to much.
    The other day I backed up my copy of the terminal.It got just over an hour into it and just stopped.
    I have also had a couple of other problems with multi episode discs.They wont play anything other than the first episode or the menus dont work properly.
    I use Decryptor,Shrink and Nero.
    This works for me about 80-85% of the time.

Please give me some idea what I can do.
    Thanks.

MervinJ

2. rmania

rmania Member

burn at slower speed 2x is great dont rush it...What kind of disc do you use...I use Sony,TDK they r great...

3. MervinJ

MervinJ Member

Iwill try to burn slower.
    I also use imation and verbatim in the single layers and verbatim in the DL.(Cause I cant get anything else)
    My player doesnt like tdk to much.It does however like sony.

Will give it a try.

Thanks

MervinJ

4. Balaam

Balaam Regular member

This sounds like a media issue to me. Imation disks aren't of very good quality, and unless you get the verbatim datalife plus, you are also getting media of questionable quality. the quality of other verbatim disks has been brought into question many times, and is not generally thought of as good quality media.

Using dvd shrink and dvd decryptor, I've backed up hundreds of full dvd movies and multi-episode disks with the default compression on shrink and 'deep analysis' selected. My eyes and ears can't tell the difference between the originals and the backups. And I'm a perfectionist, so if there was a noticable difference, I'd be able to see it.

Of course, I only use top quality media. First TDK TTG02, and now mainly Taiyo Yuden. With these two brands, I burn all my disks at 8x, 12x, or 16x, with every single one of the 200+ being totally flawless.

You should check the media ID of your media, its listed in the log in DVD Decrypter. Check something like the list on digitalfaq.com, here:
    http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm

See how high they are listed.
    Good luck

5. MervinJ

MervinJ Member

Thank you Balaam.Will give that a try.
    Does anybody else besides verbatim make DL discs??
    In Oz I havnt seen anything else.They are bloody expensive as well.

MervinJ

6. bardie

bardie Regular member

I live in Oz too and I haven't even seen any yet!!

7. MervinJ

MervinJ Member

Gday Bardie.Have you seen any of the discs mentioned in this thread for sale in Oz??

MervinJ

8. bardie

bardie Regular member

How ya goin Merv.....na, I haven't seen any DL discs at all yet, but I live in country W.A. so maybe they haven't hit here yet. I have seen TY on eBay, and I use TDK's as well, single layer.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2005
  9. MervinJ

MervinJ Member

Bardie,with the tdk discs that you use are there different grades available from different places.
    The tdks that I got hold of just refused to work.The ones I bought with the target brand were the same.

MervinJ