1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question about AVG anti virus

Discussion in 'Windows - Virus and spyware problems' started by rsheehy, Mar 2, 2007.

1. rsheehy

rsheehy Member

Hey,
    I'm using a corporate edition of Norton with free updates but what I want to know is about AVG anti-virus, I remember I used to use it before and the reason I cleared it off was because it cause a virus on my machine, aswell as some friends machines aswell. I found this out thro' a forum, I dont think it was afterdawn as I can't find the post...but I'm wondering do ye remember or know of any cases of AVG causing a virus, or an edition of it causing virus' because in a different forum I visit I mentioned this and they are calling me a bullshitter, I can remember Nortons free trial causing a virus and I was able to explain this to them as it was not that long ago but they still call me a bullshitter so I'd like to prove what I said (I know it's true). I just thought you guys would be the best to know.

Please reply a.s.a.p if you have any info, the guys I'm talking to are football fans that dont believe it possible for an anti-virus program to create a virus, they dont see the fact that some of these programs want you to buy their full product.

Thanks

2. janrocks

janrocks Guest

AVG is free for home use.. I have never known it to cause any problems.. using a full paid (cracked) one can and does cause various issues.. most notably the application will not start.

It is possible for anything to become corrupted with malware, including anti-virus software.. ESPECIALLY if the user attempts to use $$ software which has been "cracked". A lot of the programs used to achieve the patching/cracking will cause false positive virus/trojan warnings when in fact they are harmless.. It's the code used to modify the exe file that triggers the anti-virus software, as this is the method employed in a lot of trojan programs..

As for norton.. well most of us accept that it is a rather flawed product. As an application it is too paranoid and obstructs use of your software on such a regular basis that it is very often disabled..
    Then there are known problems with virii which have been coded in such a way as to actively attack it, modifying the code and running from the multitude of folders with "share" in the name..

There you have it.. The best explanation I can come up with..
    Any program or application can be corrupted to run malicious code. AVG is better than most at protecting itself, but even the best application is only as safe as the user allows it to be.

If those idiots who want to call you a "bullshitter" need any proof just point them at this http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/news/index.cfm?newsid=8574

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 2, 2007