1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question about blank DVD media

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by ECMoney, Jan 13, 2004.

1. ECMoney

ECMoney Member

What is the difference in the colour of the recording surface and the top surface. Does the colour mean anything? I bought a 25-pack of Mitsumi DVD-r and the recording surface colour is a silver/blue and the top surface is silver. Does this mean anything, I have seen some blank DVD's with purple colour on the recording surface.

2. flanman

flanman Member

Color does not matter. Different manufactures use different color dyes on their DVD media. Just make sure you get the type you need as far as + or - format.

3. ECMoney

ECMoney Member

I know all about the different media types and brands but I just didn't know if there was a difference in recording surface colour. Just asking to see if there was anything that I should know regarding the colour.

4. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

No difference as long as it's a good quality disc.

5. tobytime

tobytime Member

Back in the day, when CD burners were still young, it made a difference. The brighter dyes had a higher reflectivity, and would often play better on older CD drives.

However, these days, devices should have no problem reading disks of any colour.