1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question about burning...

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Crusaders, Mar 30, 2004.

1. Crusaders

Crusaders Member

Thanks to the people who responded to my question in regards to the pixelation, and using better media has, for the most part, resolved that.

My question is, I'm using DVD Shrink 3.1, and Nero, to make most of my movies, and I've noticed that some of my movies, when played, display my "angles" indicator. It shows up at the top of the movie, and eventually disappears. I was wondering if anyone has had similar problems. I am using the Pioneer DV-525, as my standalone.

Also, I have a few movies in which I copied, that comes up with the commentary, as my audio. How did something like this happen? When I omit certain things such as audio, sometimes there are more files with the same name, such as ACS 5.1 Audio, etc... How would I know which to omit, and which I can get rid of? What are accpetable rates for video quality? I've been getting around 49-70 percent range, usually in the 50's.

2. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Using maximum compression (in the 49-50% range) can cause odd things showing up. I was trying to keep some extras and a menu so I applied maximum compression to them. I had subpictures showing up and freezing on the screen while the movie played.

Try to keep your compression number above 65% for the main movie and no lower than 55% for the extras and menu. Use the "Deep Analysis" feature.

Use the newest version of Shrink: 3.1.7.6

To pick the correct audio for a particular title, highlight the title by clicking on it, then start the preview window and right click on it.
    Select audio from the menu that appears. A list of audio tracks will appear. The one that is currently playing will have a check next to it.
    Select different tracks and listen to them. Determine which one you want and check the corresponding box. Uncheck the rest.

Note that sometimes extra features and menus may not have the 5.1 AC3 that the main title has. Just select the one you want from the choices you do have.
    Shrink will use the audio stream that you select for each title.

I don't try to save extras and menus too often, I generally like the movie to just play when I put it in the player. Just like the theatre. Its a lot easier and you don't need to compress the film as much so the quality is better.

We'll be burning DVD-9s sometime this year so a lot of this won't matter, unless you want to put two or three complete movies on one disc.