1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question about CDEX

Discussion in 'Audio' started by Roaddog, Apr 29, 2002.

1. Roaddog

Roaddog Guest

hi, im using CDex, and im converting a wav file into an mpeg and the wav file im trying to convert is around 1 gb.

When i go to convert it, the program starts up and it starts off looking for "the peak value" of the file... It has been like this for over 30 minutse now, is this normal? If not, how long should it be, and how should I work around it if there is a way?

Thanks for looking this over

2. andavari

andavari Member

A 1Gb file will take a very, very long time to load. You should probably exit all other running programs in the background (web browsers, download manager's, media players, etc). I'd especially recommend that you disable your antivirus software's real-time protection which could slow down the progress upwards of 50%.

3. Roaddog

Roaddog Guest

Hrm, I figured out the problem, I think when I converted the wav before hand from d2vtoavi it did not finish, because I redid the wav conversion, then went to cdex and it started up and the peak value started getting completed right away. Then the actual file got created in 20 minutes, the main problem was Nothing would happen, you could tell it was working but it would spend 30 minutes to check for the peak value with nothing getting completed.

Anyways, it works now, so thanks anyways

4. TheZig

TheZig Member

I'm having very similar problems. With CDex 1.40, it would wait about 20 minutes determining peak value and then it would process the file to 85% and stop. The WAV is 1.9GB and I'm trying to do a WAV->MPEG conversion.

I did the exact same thing with a smaller (1GB?) file and it worked perfectly, but this error keeps happening with this bigger file.

On top of this, the file is so big that Window Media Player won't play it (buffer too small).

I tried installing CDex 1.50, but now the conversion stops immediately—nothing is converted. I also tried recreating the WAV with DV2AVI (before I even read your post, actually), but the same result occurs.

Do you think if I had 2GB of ram CDex would convert it and Windows Media Player would be able to play it?

5. TheZig

TheZig Member

I found that if I turned off the "normalize" option then CDex 1.50 won't just flicker and not encode—it will actually tell you that it can't open the file:

Error occureted while opening the input file

(Yes, "occureted")

So I'm thinking that this has something to do with the filesize (or I somehow created a screwed-up WAV file *twice* with DV2AVI. :(

6. Pio2001

Pio2001 Moderator Staff Member

There may be issues with files bigger than 1 GB. That's why vob files are all 1 GB in size.

Running Windows 98, you should be able to handle files up to 4 GB, but I've heard about possible problems after 1 GB. I don't know why.

However I'm currently converting a 1.4 GB wav file to mp3 with Lame, no problem so far (68 %).
    A 2.09 GB avi file was also loaded without problem in Nandub one hour ago ;)

Oh, by the way, scanning a 1 GB wav file for highest peak should take no more than 5 minutes in the worst cases, I think.
    It could even take 10 seconds on the edge of a platter of an unfragmented ATA 100 hard drive.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2002