1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

question about computer screens and t.v. screens

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by born1974, Mar 27, 2005.

1. born1974

born1974 Member

Heres my question. video played on a computer shows more video than on a t.v.. is that correct? the reason why i ask is because i did a file conversion from avi to avi again just so i could resize the picture a little. then back to dvd. i did about 10 diffenrt settings with sizing just to make sure i wasn't cropping it myself and i played it back with showtime, windows media player power dvd and divx player. and i made sure that the settings were right for aspect ratio and all that. at first i kept thinging i was resizing wrong but then it hit me after playing on my t.v. 20 times that i'll put the dvd back in my computer and see if they compare. well i got more picture on my computer again. so i checked the settings on my dvd componet and it was fine. why is that. that means unless it's my t.v. alone all movies played on a t.v. are slightly cropped. at least the width is. i did look at the hight. am i wrong or right? THANX...

2. mini_mod

mini_mod Member

It all depends on the supported aspect ratios. PC are designed to display a multitude of aspect ratios while televisions are designed for up to (on average) 4.

Its kind of hard to explain unless you know a bit about aspect ratios.