1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question about conversion software encoding bitrates

Discussion in 'iPod discussion' started by stuck19, Jul 12, 2007.

1. stuck19

stuck19 Member

Hi,
    My question regards many of the conversion programs I've read about here for taking content from DVDs to iPods, particularly Handbrake, ImToo, Super, PQDVD, and Cucusoft. I wanted to know which of these programs when set to a specific bitrate, does not encode at an average. For instance, Handbrake's setting for changing the bit rate to be encoded at is displayed as "average bit rate." Do all of these programs encode at an "average bitrate" when you set them? Or is it just Handbrake? I encoded something with the cucu trial software and when I check it's "total bitrate" in iTunes, it displayed 1020kbs, when I set Cucu at 1200kbs.

So do/can any of these programs actually encode at a specific bitrate? If so, which?

Thanks so much for any help.

2. stuck19

stuck19 Member

3. mrxxg

mrxxg Guest

cucusoft can give me very good video quality, before you convert your files, please bear in mind the general limits which the iPod carries~ H.264 video: up to 768 Kbps, 320x240, 30 frames per sec., Baseline Profile up to Level 1.3 with AAC-LC up to 160 Kbps, 48 Khz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4 and .mov file formats. MPEG-4 video: up to 2.5 mbps, 480x480, 30 frames per sec., Simple Profile with AAC-LC up to 160 Kbps, 48 Khz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4 and .mov file