1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question about copying a copy

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by danadena, Oct 14, 2004.

1. danadena

danadena Member

I have a dell 8300 with a player in 1 slot and a burner in another slot. I use xp, dycrypt, shrink, and Nero 6.
    I have several backups I have made with my shrink set at 4464 mb. Now after changing media several times I can not seem to make a copy from the copy anymore, because it will start stuttering at the end or it will simply error out doing the burn. I use sonic to make my copies.
    I was told I need to back the mb down to 4200-4300 during the shrink process. I did that, now those backups work fine.
    My question is: Using Nero 6, Is it possible to do a 1 step copy by placing the master (4464 mb) in the player and putting the blank in the burner. Will nero shrink it down to 4200 mb or do I have to remake all of my masters? Or do I have some thing else wrong? The media I am using is Ridata 4x dvd+r.
    Thanks alot.

2. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

The process you want to do (play dvd in one drive and burn in another) is called burning on the fly. It can be done but isn't the best way to do it. Too many chances of burn errors that way. You can use Nero to re-copy. Just use the disc copy feature since the copy has no encryption. As far as shrinking the files size down you can try Nero Recode and edit out some extras if you can. Otherwise run it through DVDShrink in file mode again.

Jerry

3. danadena

danadena Member

Hey Jerry,
    That's what I was affraid of. Thanks for the info. Do you know of any true 4.7 gb discs?
    Thanks again

4. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

All 4.7 gig blanks actually hold 4.36gig if I'm not mistaken. The 4.7 rating comes from how the manufacturers calculate size. Its slightly different and I don't have the info in front of me so just remember the true size is under 4.4 gig not 4.7gig.

Jerry

5. danadena

danadena Member

Thanks Jerry.
    This Forum has been very helpful.

6. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Glad I could help.

Jerry