1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

question about DVD±R/RW DL

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by farahm2, Jun 17, 2007.

1. farahm2

farahm2 Member

just a simple question about dvd dl disks, i know that it has twice the amount of space than a normal disk, but is it like those double sided disks where half of the space is on one side, and half of the space is on the other,
    or is it like a normal disk where all the space is on one side and i can put a dvd label on the other?

2. born2ride

born2ride Regular member

farahm2
    the dl disc is only on one side. you can put that label on if you want too.
    i think the other are called flippers.
    i sure someone will correct me if i am wrong

3. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

you can buy blank dvd's that can be written to on both sides. they are called dvd10's.

4. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

There are four different DVD sizes:

DVD-5 holds 4.7GB and is supported by the DVD+R/RW and DVD-R/RW formats. It is also known as Single-Sided Single Layer.

DVD-10 holds 8.75GB and is supported by the DVD+R/RW and DVD-R/RW formats. It is also known as Double-Sided Single Layer.

DVD-9 holds 8.5GB and is supported by the DVD+R and DVD-R formats. It is also known as Single-Sided Double Layer (sometimes called Dual Layer). The official names are DVD-R DL and DVD+R DL

DVD-18 holds 15.9GB and is supported by the DVD+R format. It is also known as Double-Sided Double Layer (or Double-Sided Dual Layer).

You must have a DVD Burner for your PC that will burn Double Layer and/or Double-Sided DVDs to use these different discs.

5. born2ride

born2ride Regular member

bbmayo
    that was informative i did not even know they made a dvd-18
    i could only imagine the cost

6. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Blank DVD18 media is not yet available to the consumer, but there are some movies (mostly foreign) already using this format.

I also forgot to mention there is one more format.

MiniDVD (Mini DVD or miniDVD) or cDVD is an 80 mm diameter recordable disc. It was developed for use in camcorders and can be played back in most DVD players. Mini DVD-R/-RW media can holds 30 minutes of video or 1.4 GB of data per disc with the highest quality offering(standard DVD quality).

7. farahm2

farahm2 Member

thnx a lot for the info guys!

8. wolfniggr

wolfniggr Regular member

-R DL Mini discs are also available for camcorders that support that format.

[​IMG]

Double sided dual layer discs will more than likely never be available for burning.(very hard and expensive to make)