1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

question about dvd brands

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by NSA187, Feb 17, 2005.

1. NSA187

NSA187 Regular member

I have a sony dru-530a and i have been using Hewlet PAckards to back up my movies they seem to get the job done and i have no problems with them as long as i burn them no faster than a 4x speed. But i want to switch over to using Ritek Ridata. I am curious about what is the difference between this brand http://www.supermediastore.com/ritek-ridata-4x-dvd-plus-r-white-inkjet-printable.html and this one http://www.supermediastore.com/ritek-ridata-4x-dvd-plus-r-retail-10off-mir.html I am concerned if they will work on my dvd player, any advice, thanks in advance...

2. Balaam

Balaam Regular member

My advice would be to stick with what you are using. Ritek has been having some quality issues for a few months now, and its becoming harder to know that you're getting quality media when you purchase any of the MANY brands Ritek sells their disks under.

If you're swithcing because you want guaranteed quality with your disks, I would go with Taiyo Yuden brand disks. Unlike ritek or any other brand, Taiyo Yuden only make one grade of disks, grade A. I buy my TY's from meritline.com. I buy the silver thermals, since I don't print on them. They are $48 per 100 disks. Meritline sells only genuine TY's, and better quality disks don't exist.

3. gerard514

gerard514 Regular member

your opinion on some blank media dvds. I wanted to use dvd-r 8x hub printable disc. I am not sure whether to go with a white top or a shiny silver top? And i am not sure which brand to go with? I have seen that verbatim makes the ones im looking for but aside from compatibility this disc would most likely work flawless with other players? And lastly would there be any other name media that are better or give better picture quality, as well as where might i be able to find most of my media?

4. Balaam

Balaam Regular member

Well, it's going to depend on what kind of printer you have, you might want to provide the name in your next post, so other people with more experience printing on dvds can better offer thier recommendations.

As far as answering your question. If you go with Verbatims, I would only go with the datalife plus disks. They are the ones that most people recommend quality wise.

Regarding where to buy media, this is a pretty good list of media retailers, even though it hasn't been updated in a while:
    http://www.digitalfaq.com/othervideo/buymedia.htm

Lastly, you should definitely also check out Taiyo Yuden disks. They are very good quality, probably the best. Search for Taiyo Yuden at meritline.com. They have a very wide variety, and you are sure to find the disks that will work best for your particular dvd printer.

5. gerard514

gerard514 Regular member

i plan on buying a epson 200 printer. I have already bought the verbatim dvd-r 50 pack of white inkjet hub printable. I think i might change my media to taiyo yuden because everone says they have the best cds and there is only one type of the media so there arent much fake one out there (correct me if i am wrong by the way). By the way does taiyo yuden have hun printable dvds i looked on meritline and couldnt seem to spot them, and another question would be about meritline, how reliable are they?and are they at good priced?

6. Balaam

Balaam Regular member

Meritline is the best, IMO. That's why I recommended them, and that's where I buy all my TY media. In price and reliability of the media, they are among the best.

And yes, TY has disks that are printable to the hub. If you type in Taiyo Yuden in the search box on the meritline site, their whole selection will come up. Each of the clickable links will say whether the disk is printable, or Hub printable. For instance:
    500 Pack Taiyo Yuden 8X DVD-R Media 4.7GB White Inkjet Printab...
    is not hub printable, where as:
    100 Pack Taiyo Yuden 8X DVD-R Media 4.7GB White Thermal Hub Pr...
    is.

7. NSA187

NSA187 Regular member

Balaam are u sure TY are the best, i usually use HP+r does it matter if use TY -R i only use it at a 4x speed but with the 8x speed at write speed do u get errors which ones should i try out ? i need the kind of TY in which i can write the name on the disk with a marker... thanks

8. gerard514

gerard514 Regular member

yes i did notice the white thermal hub printable disk, however i do not have a thermal printer. Is there any way to find inkjet hub printable on the website. May be if anyone has a code that i could enter in the search.

2.)))
    How many people would rather recommend taiyo yuden over verbatim?

Thanks for everones help.

9. gerard514

gerard514 Regular member

I found them on supermediastore.com
    The product code is DVD01X0166 they are 69.00 for 100 disc. Would anyone buy from this website? are they trustworthy even with there media quality?

10. Balaam

Balaam Regular member

Yes Taiyo Yuden are definitely the best, although as long as you get the datalife plus, the verbatims are very good too.

NSA187,
    Go with the 4x TY's that are on sale at supermediastore. I just recieved my 100 pack in the mail, and they are the real deal.

gerard514,
    supermediastore.com is a great retailer. i just bought 100 TY's, recieved them quickly. they are rated as the #1 online retailer for blank media at digitalfaq.com

11. gerard514

gerard514 Regular member

I would like to get the 8x speed but i burn usually at 4x. I would like 8 because incase there is something that i have to burn and want to burn it quick i can up the speed. Is the 8x just as good as the 4x discs? Also is there still a risk of using programs like shrink and decryptor in 8x speed mode without having harm to the disc.

Thanks to all for your help.

12. joschez

joschez Regular member

I myself use Verbatim, they work good. I have notice thought that when I use diferent programs to burn with, the last 30 minutes of the movies skipped. I don't believe its because of the discs I'm using. I have notice is just the program. I have used Verbatim and TDK. They both work well. any more info check this out.

http://www.afterdawn.com/news/archive/6098.cfm

13. gerard514

gerard514 Regular member

I have notice skipps to although it may be in defferent places. This does not happen on the verbatim disc, therefore i have not used the verbatim disks yet. Does anyone why the skips happen? Is there a better program that can minimize this?

I use shrink and decryptor. I have also heard about dvd rebuilder and cce basic, does anyone know or have heard about this program and if it truly is better. (dvd rebuilder said to have good picture quality)

Thanks to all .

14. gerard514

gerard514 Regular member

Has anyone else noticed these problems?

I have watched a few more movies on different types of media..does anyone know what may cause this?

Thanks for the help