1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question about DVD Red Pro

Discussion in 'DVD recorders' started by dsguardin, Jun 14, 2007.

1. dsguardin

dsguardin Member

Hi there,

Does anyone happen to know if the DVD Red Pro works, and if so, will it work on the Panasonic DMR-ES20 when backing up DVDs? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. JVC

JVC Active member

A standalone dvd recorder will not copy a copy protected dvd. If it's home movies, on dvd, that you're copying, you can probably copy them to the recorder's HD (if it has one), and burn dvd from HD.

I've never heard of software to use with a standalone recorder.

If the Panny is a computer burner, you're in the wrong forum. I've never heard of DVD Red Pro, so I don't know if it works well with a burner or not. Maybe someone else does..........

3. dsguardin

dsguardin Member

First off, the Pannie is indeed a standalone recorder. As for the DVD Red Pro (http://www.dimax.com.ua/dvd/dvdredpro.shtml), it's a small piece of hardware that goes between the VCR or DVD player and the DVD recorder. I bought one of these about 2-3 years ago, and it worked perfectly on my old Pannie DMR-E30 standalone recorder (recording DVD to DVD). However, I just bought a refurbished Pannie DMR-ES20, and the Red Pro doesn't work on this one. Now, I'm assuming it's probably because the Red Pro's firmware has been updated in the past couple of years, in which case I have an outdated model. Also, their website lists the ES20 under the list of compatible DVD recorders that will work with it. The problem is, I've sent them a couple of emails already, but I can't get a reply from them. So, basically, I'm trying to find out if anyone has a DVD Red Pro, and if theirs works with any of the newer (ie, last couple of years) Panasonic standalone recorders. Thanks.

4. JVC

JVC Active member

I would guess then that the one you have, is outdated. A lot of the software nowdays, can barely keep up with the new copy protections. I'm betting it's the new copy protections........
    Good luck!

5. LCSHG

LCSHG Regular member

DVD Red Pro List's the Panasonic DMR-ES20 as a recorder it works on

Edit
    SORRY I mistook the 3 for a 2

Last edited: Jun 16, 2007
  6. catfreak

catfreak Active member

My LiteOn LVW-5005 recorders sure will . . . Mv hacking is all it took

7. JVC

JVC Active member

I guess if you know how to hack it................
    Did the hack allow copying the Dolby Digital 5.1 or DTS soundtracks too, or is it just stereo?

8. dsguardin

dsguardin Member

Got a response from Dimax - yep, as I thought, the firmware on their DVD Red Pro and Grex units has been updated in the past couple of years. Plus, I found someone else on another board who has a couple of Pannie recorders and he uses the Grex unit with great results. By the way, if you hack a DVD recorder or use a video stabilizer, you'll just be recording the DVD in 2-channel stereo (I could be wrong on this, but that's the way mine have come out).

9. mmitsch

mmitsch Member

I to back up my kids Disney VHS Tapes to DVD's. Can the Dimax DVD Red Pro do this? Please let me know.

Thanks!