1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

question about DVD shrink

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by jgstang, Feb 2, 2005.

1. jgstang

jgstang Member

Question: When you are in the screen where you can adjust the size of the movie, why is it that if you choose a custom ratio, you can only go down so far?

Application: i was trying to backup The Day After Tomorrow, it was encrypted so i used VOB Blanker to rip it. Then i opened DVD Shrink to compress it, and after it did it's little analysis part, it wouldn't let me make the compression small enough to fit onto a disk. Even in the custom size, i couldn't make it go below like 91% on the main movie.

Any Ideas?
    Thanks Justin

2. Noqoilpi

Noqoilpi Regular member

Have you set the Target DVD size for DVD Shrink.
    Open Shrink, click on Edit, select Preferences, select Preferences tab. In the drop down menu you have a chioce of DVD-5 (regular disk), DVD-9 (dual layer rewritable) or Custom.
    You can use DVD-5 but I would select Custom and enter 4360. 4464 is the most you can put on a disc (DVD-5). If you stay a little lower the burn will not go all the way to the edge of the disc.
    Thats is where you most likely get errors. It is worth the little extra compression to stay away from the edge.
    Hope this is your problem. If not let me know either way.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2005
  3. Balaam

Balaam Regular member

Well, I'm not sure if I got the jist of your problem from the info you provided, but it seems from your post that you're not aware that in DVD Shrink, 100% compression means no compression. I know, it's backwards. But its the truth. The greater the percentage, the less compression is used. So if you can't go below a certain number(ie 91%), its because there is no reason to, since that would only compress it needlessly.

4. Noqoilpi

Noqoilpi Regular member

Yes it is backwards, 100% is no compression. I did The Day After Tomorrow (main title only) with Shrink.

5. jgstang

jgstang Member

i understand the compression thing, but thanks for replying. The thing is that it will not alloy me to compress it enough. Example : at 91% on the main movie, it's way too big to fit in the 4464 size that i need to burn.

Noqoilpi: i will try that method when i get home, and thanks for the info on the disk edge. Regardless whether or not the change of preferences works, it's worth it to know about the edge thing.

To all : I'll keep ya posted as to what happens.

6. ashroy01

ashroy01 Regular member

91% isn't that much, it seems as long as you have "automatic" selected Shrink will do its thing.
    Like Noq said, it could be the target dvd size.

7. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

The movie should be set to "automatic" and use custom ratio for menu, extras, and other. This way the movie will always use the most space as it becomes available. Try using still image in places where there are items that you don't care about. This too will free up more space for the movie.