1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question about +/- dvdr's

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by hackwolf, Jan 23, 2005.

1. hackwolf

hackwolf Member

Was wondering if dvd players have a preference for + or - dvdr's. I dont have a problem playing either types in my player (4 months old) but some other people have had trouble. Do they need to buy the dvd player that has the dvdr/rw supported? THanks.

2. shawbros

shawbros Member

Nowadays I haven't heard of a player that is not capable. What writer do you use? If you write on +R media with the booktype set to DVD-ROM then you can be sure it will play on any player old or new. If your writer is not capable of bitsetting then don't use +R media.

3. bazilla

bazilla Regular member

4. Manu_DVD

Manu_DVD Guest

[bold]Your right shawbros[/bold]

DVD+R Not only been a little cheaper and faster than the minus type but a good quality DVD+R with a DVD ROM booktype will play on most equipment. I too have both a Toshiba Standalone and a DVD reader and all + R work.

5. bazilla

bazilla Regular member

I'll have to look closer at my settings and see if I'm not setting booktype to DVD-ROM.

Edit: I just checked, and the booktype of my Sony DRU 710A is set to DVD-ROM.

So that cannot be the reason why DVD+R's are not playing in my Toshiba.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2005
  6. CKY_2084

CKY_2084 Guest

Anyone know if the NEC 3520A burner can BITSET, I havent got mine yet its due in by Friday. Just Wondering

7. bazilla

bazilla Regular member

I've posted some details in this thread:

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/151610

The short version is that I have some newly burned dvd+r's with booktype dvd-rom that will not play in a brand new Toshiba. And while I don't know the brand, my son-in-law says they won't play in one of his dvd players either.

8. shawbros

shawbros Member

9. shawbros

shawbros Member

I've made discs on Pioneer and Liteon writers that will play on old and new Toshiba model DVD players. Have you written to DVD-R media in exactly the same manner and it worked on those same players? Not all DVD players are implemented in the same manner, some are very stringent with the DVD specification (ie: Toshiba). I find that using DVDDecrypter to write image files is the most reliable. Some softwares which don't support DISC-AT-ONCE writing may produce results not fully compliant. Your image file should also be compliant.

10. jcm9858

jcm9858 Member

The company that I got my burning software from said that most DVD players are set up to play -R media, I use to burn on +R,+RW but everytime I tried to play them, they would skip and freeze up, now all I use is -R and I don't have any problems, I use either Sony or imation DVD-R disc...

Last edited: Jan 25, 2005
  11. shawbros

shawbros Member

Skipping and freezing has nothing to do with whether it's +R or -R, but rather the quality of the media itself.

12. mvolta84

mvolta84 Member

there is an option in dvd shrink that is book type DVD-rom, do i need to choose that so my DVD+R's will play on all DVD players?

My DVD+R's using DVD shrink will not play on my portable DVD wich does play DVD-R/DVD+R

13. Manu_DVD

Manu_DVD Guest

[bold]Hi mvolta84[/bold]

It would be a good idea to always bitset DVD+R to DVD ROM but unfortunately not all burner's are capable of this task. you should check your burner with google (or these forums) to see if there is information on your drive's bitset ability.

To test your DVD+R, simply insert one you burned into your drive and run a freeware disc id utility like: DVD Identifier. The booktype will read DVD+R or DVD ROM.