1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question about fliptop and Slim PS2

Discussion in 'PS2' started by XSamuraiX, Apr 26, 2005.

1. XSamuraiX

XSamuraiX Member

I installed the fliptop on my slimline PS2, and it seemed to work fine at first, but for some reason, it doesn't stay down well like the original lid. I was wondering if anyone had this problem. For example, i actually have to use a controller as a weight to hold down the lid, just so it can read games, backups, and DVD's. I was wondering, since the fliptop doesn't seem to work so well for me, would anyone reccomend the slim tool or magic switch?

2. RemyK313

RemyK313 Regular member

Yes, several people have had this problem. Congratulations on recognizing a problem that most people don't honestly see. Most people who have this problem usually can't even tell they have this problem until someone like me has suggested it.

Anyways, there is an easy fix to your problem : remove the spring that holds up your PS2LiD. You'll lose the ability to eject normally, and you'll have to hold up the lid whenever you want to do a normal eject, but it'll probably fix your problem.

It took me a while to figure this one out, I had to remove and install the original lid and swap with the PS2LiD several times before I figured it out. But yeah, the spring that holds up your lid when you eject is holding up your replacement lid.

You're not the first person to have this problem, I and a few others have had it too. And for everyone who's had this problem, removing the spring fixes it. If you want to know more about it, check out : http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/1/148012

3. XSamuraiX

XSamuraiX Member

RemyK313, thank you for the quick response, it's usually hard for me to get a decent answer on these forums. I can see what you are saying about the lid, and why it has problems, but could you explain it a little better. Which spring exactly am I removing from the original lid, the one that goes in between the screws and a little hook right under the lid, or the actual object that lets the original ps2 lid open and close, that's located at the back of the lid? Thanks if you can answer this.

4. RemyK313

RemyK313 Regular member

Which spring? Remove this spring :
    [​IMG]

It's located here :
    [​IMG]

Sorry for the blurry picture, but it'll give you the idea as to WHERE and WHAT you need to be removing. See that yellow box? In THAT area, there's a small slot where your spring should be, THAT's the spring you remove. Removing it is kind of tricky, I can't actually remember how I removed it, I may have actually have had the lid half on, but don't worry, it's not too hard to figure out. Just be careful about it, and use a flatheaded screwdriver to get it out.

I hope that explains it, and I hope this solves your problem.

5. XSamuraiX

XSamuraiX Member

Oh, that was the spring you were talking about. Well unfortunately, I've switched the lids about 3 times back and forth and when I put the flip top on, i always remove that spring. I guess that's not the problem, but thanks for all your help. Oh well, I guess i might just go back to using a paperweight...