1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question about HD brand

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Balaam, Jan 20, 2005.

1. Balaam

Balaam Regular member

Anyone have any experience with the Acomdata brand, and specifically the Acomdata 250GB HD250U2E3-72? It's an external drive, and after rebate, Fry's online store is selling it for $150. I'd prefer going with a brand I am more familiar with, though I'm only going to be using it to store various ISO's. I do work my drives pretty hard though, a lot of unzipping and deleting. But I'm on a budget, and that price is looking mighty tempting. Any personal anecdotes or advice would be much appreciated.

2. dlc2000

dlc2000 Regular member

i have never heard of that brand before . the cheapest route is to buy a hard drive and than a enclosure . i bought a 200 gig seagate 7200 rpm for $98 and the enclosure for $35 . by the way balaam thanks for the advice on the nec 3520a . its a nice drive . worth the money .

3. Balaam

Balaam Regular member

Glad you like it. Happy I could help. :)
    And about the enclosure. I was thinking of going that way, but I was wondering if there was anything I needed to watch out for when matching an HD to an enclosure, besided the physical size of each? Thanks again for your help.

4. dlc2000

dlc2000 Regular member

sorry for the delay in posting , here is what im using and it works great , you can put any ide drive in it , even burners , roms fit nice . its cheaper now than when i bought it .

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=17-145-314&depa=0

one other thing its kinda big , but thats what i wanted for cooling purposes and for if i decided i wanted to put some thing else in it besides a hard drive in the future . otherwise the standard 3.5 size should work for most hard drives . its a tight fit with them and not as good at cooling . just my opinion . some like the smaller ones that take up less space . i only use usb 2.0 on this one but there are others out there that are smaller and offer firewire + usb 2.0 .

Last edited: Jan 21, 2005
  5. Balaam

Balaam Regular member

np. so, do you like your seagate? fry's has a 300 gig seagate advertised for 139 after rebate. that seems like a pretty sick price to me. I think I'm going to pick one up tomorrow. I'll see what kind of selection of enclosures they have, but if they don't have anything better than the one you linked to, I'll go with that one.

ETA: ok cool, size isn't that big a deal for me. I just need one that's horizontal. With the amount that I used my other external until I filled it up, and how hot it got after only short amount of use, I think a larger chasie that allows good cooling is probably something that will do me good. Thanks for the advice.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2005
  6. dlc2000

dlc2000 Regular member

im using a seagate right now and works great . i had a bad 200gig a few months ago and seagate went good on it without a problem . most of their drives now carry a 5 year warranty which is nice . the seagate is way quieter than my wd raptors .
    the price you have listed for a 300gig seems really cheap . how many rpm drive is it ? is it a refurb ? i might have to grab one of them for that price . i suppose all the ide drives are coming down in price with sata taking over .

7. Balaam

Balaam Regular member

It's funny, I was broswing outpost.com, Fry electronics online site, earlier tonight, and the 300 gig seagates were advertised at 200+ dollars. But I went out and got my paper a few hours ago, there was an insert, and I was suprised to see an advert for a seagate 300 gig for 139 after a $40 rebate. I just check outpost.com again and now they have this listed on there too.

Its a Seagate, 300 gig UATA/100, 8mb buffer, 7200rpm, Boxed kit(install kit included), regular price: 219.99. I have no reason to believe that it's refurbished, other than my natural skepticism.

8. Balaam

Balaam Regular member

9. dlc2000

dlc2000 Regular member

thanks for the info , i ordered one of them also . i couldnt pass it up , that big of a drive for that price is a good deal compared to what i paid for my 200gig . you have to quit finding deals like this , im going broke with all of the info and advice :)

10. Balaam

Balaam Regular member

hehe
    well, I spent my wad on this hd, so I won't be looking to make anymore purchases for a while, so you won't have to worry about that for a while. :)

11. Balaam

Balaam Regular member

so, just so I'm completely sure about the enclosure before i buy one from newegg, it will work with this HD, right?

12. dlc2000

dlc2000 Regular member

its a ide drive so it should work just fine . which one are you thinking about getting ? the same one i have ? remember the one i have is bulky or kinda on the big side . i have not put a 300gig in the enclosure but the box states it supports up to 300gig drives . if you get the same one i have it should work out for you . also you can look at the pictures of it on neweggs site and read the reviews of what others have put in them . i like mine and plan to try the 300gig seagate in it when i get it .