1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question about hd dvd end blue ray

Discussion in 'Blu-ray players' started by mellisito, Sep 16, 2007.

1. mellisito

mellisito Member

can someone explain why if sony choose for blue ray because is better.....why they do hd dvd,s....toshiba choose hd dvd and is only hd dvd?

2. JoeRyan

JoeRyan Active member

Sony developed Blu-ray along with some other companies because the royalties from DVD were going to dry up at some point, and they needed a new revenue stream. Putting high definition onto regular DVDs with a red laser could be done, but at the sacrifice of special features and some small sacrifice in quality. Blu-ray needed a full 50GB of capacity because the original plans were to use MPEG-2, the same encoding format used for DVDs.

Toshiba developed a less expensive version of a blue laser disc using the same physical structure as regular DVDs, and they planned to use MPEG-4 or other, more efficient encoding than MPEG-2; so they could get away with 30GB of capacity and produce the same quality as Blu-ray at 50GB.

3. camaro17

camaro17 Guest

but blu-ray is still better

4. club42

club42 Regular member

I think he meant why are some blue-ray exclusive movie available on HD-DVD internationally. This is because some studios like warner are blue-ray exclusive only in the us.

5. mellisito

mellisito Member

I don't meant about dvd movies,,,,I meant about hd dvd recivers.

6. club42

club42 Regular member

HD-DVD receivers?

7. JoeRyan

JoeRyan Active member

Blu-ray has more capacity because it uses near-field recording, but that does not make it "better." It is harder and more expensive to manufacture, requires a special hard coat and lenses with high numerical aperture. Production yield is abysmal for the discs. The BD-Java encoding is difficult, and the copy protections may prevent users from delivering the content from their own home servers, a problem that caused HP to switch support to HD DVD. It is anti-consumer, and that is one reason it won the support of 20th Century Fox and Disney. I don't see anything about it that is superior to HD DVD except its capacity, something no longer really needed once Sony realized it did not need MPEG-2 encoding.