1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

question about HDMI vs. DVI

Discussion in 'HDTV discussion' started by judes05, Mar 9, 2007.

1. judes05

judes05 Member

So I'm kind of new to this whole HDMI thing so if anyone can help me out I would REALLY appreciate it.

We just recently bought a Samsung LCD flat panel (HD ready) and we have the dish network. They came out and installed our HD cable box. When he hooked it up, in the HDMI slot he put a DVI adapter and then attached another cable that was DVI to HDMI to the HDMI slot in the TV. That sounds a bit confusing so if I can break it down:

cable box (HDMI slot) -> HDMI/DVI adapter -> DVI/HDMI cable -> TV (HDMI slot)

wouldn't it have been easier for him to just use a HDMI/HDMI cable?

So here's what this all comes down to... I now need a longer cable to where we mounted the TV. Should I just get a longer DVI-to-HDMI cable or should I just elimitate the whole setup and just get an HDMI cable? Would it affect my picture any? Or what is the difference between the two?

If anyone can help THANKS!

2. eatsushi

eatsushi Regular member

I suggest getting an HDMI - HDMI cable and just get rid of the the adapter. You'll be getting the advantage of both video and audio in a single cable. There should be no effect on picture quality.

3. cheezzzz

cheezzzz Regular member

I don't understand why he did this. Did he charge you for the apapter? hehehehe. Or maybe one of the HDMI port is bad?

4. eatsushi

eatsushi Regular member

Some older boxes have DVI instead of HDMI and the installer probably had older stock cable which they were trying to get rid of.

5. judes05

judes05 Member

I'd like to think that the ports aren't bad because the tv is brand new and so should the cable box. when i ask customer service why he did that she said it was probably cheaper for him to use those cables. but "eatsushi" is probably right, they're just getting rid of their old stock. thanks so much for your help guys. technology is moving to fast for me to keep up with it. hehe.

6. eatsushi

eatsushi Regular member

Enjoy your new Samsung LCD flat panel and your new HD box.

7. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

I also just got a new Samsung LCD and was all excited about the HDMI connectors. I am connected with component cables. When I got the cheap HDMI cables I ordered, I found out that the connection was about the same picture wise but the audio part of the connection no longer let the cable box control the volume. It required using the set remote to change volume, so I just kept the component connection and now have 2 HDMI cable lying around. I only paid $5 for each so I'll just save them.

8. error5

error5 Regular member

garmoon: The audio signal from any HDMI source (example - DVD/HD-DVD/BluRay player, cable box, PS3) is unamplified so you really can't control the volume from the source. Some can let you set surround levels but you can't control actual sound volume from the source. The HDTV or the HDMI receiver will still have to amplify the sound and this is where you can control the volume.

When you're using component how do you have the audio connected?

Last edited: Mar 10, 2007
  9. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

With audio, the connection is with the component cable (all 5(3vid-2aud) connections) componentTV-componentCable box. I have no trouble changing channels or adjusting volume with this setup from the cable remote. HDMI just looks better esthetically but does not work to my satisfaction. Maybe that's why Cox didn't supply HDMI cable. I'll save the HDMI for a new DVD player or Wii.

10. error5

error5 Regular member

Just remember the Wii doesn't have HDMI but has component.

11. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

@error5

Just peachy, 3 HDMI cables and no place to go. Maybe a new DVD player??