1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question about internet security and stock installation of windows xp (from oct 2001)

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by Hemingway, May 23, 2007.

1. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

if i were to format my computer and then install fresh from a windows xp pro CD from 2001, and did NOT install any updates or service packs, how could the following scenario play out:

lets say im using firefox and always browsing with javascript turned off. i try my best not to go to random, untrusted sites and scan all my downloads manually (with AVG free).

is it possible for someone to simply ping my ip address and start browsing my files (such as a .txt file with passwords in it) or worse, to delete or upload files to me?

my belief was that the browser was the main source of problems, and that switching from IE to firefox was the golden rule of browsing, however what about underlying problems with the windows NT kernal from 2001? are those also to blame? i am also using a router.

i ask this because i am very interested in tweaking. ive noticed that mostly all of the features from sp2 i dont even use (such as windows firewall, and others) and ive installed faithfully almost every windows update uptil until last year, which seems to me now stupid because im hoarding out like 500+ MB of hard drive space for them.

i am mostly following the information found here:

http://www.bold-fortune.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=229

which is truely an amazing guide for deleting unneeded windows xp files, i read the guide took years to make.

thanks for your time!

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

you need at least sp1 to get usb2 to work & to access more than 137gig in a hd if using ntfs format.