1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

question about maxell's at officedepot

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by kinza, Jan 19, 2005.

1. kinza

kinza Regular member

Anyone know the media ID for the Maxell DVD-R's at Office Depot?

2. vatsim5

vatsim5 Member

Office Depot in what country? That is important info.
    Maxell is made my many different manufacturers. Where
    ever they can get the best deal is where they buy from.
    The last time I did an ID on Maxell they were made by
    CMC which is low grade media. Zeide.

3. swervin

swervin Regular member

I'm guessing you are talking about the ones they have on sale, 15 disk spindle of -R's, in the United States. I have bought many of these and they were either Taiyo Yuden TYG01 or Maxell MXL RG02. These are two top of the line disks. I've not had a coaster yet. As a matter of fact, when Staples had them on sale for $4.94, I bought six 15 spinde packs. I should have bought more. All six where Maxell MXL RG02's.

The 25 spindles I have bought were Ritek G04's.

I'm talking about the yellow tops. I know they have started making them with gold tops. I've never bought any of these so I can't say who makes them but I believe I seen someone say it was Ritek. Not sure though.

Mike

4. kinza

kinza Regular member

in the us

5. kinza

kinza Regular member

thanks [bold]swervin[/bold]

does anyone know if they are good with ps2's(as backups) and panasonic dvd players? i checked on videohelp and they only have MXL RG01's.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2005
  6. jay33

jay33 Regular member

I bought several of the -r 15 pk.spindles (yellow top) and they are all TYG01. I bought one 15 pk of +r and they are MAXELL002.

Maxell is one of the best brands you can buy. I've never seen any Maxell CMC-MAG discs an dhave never heard of them using CMC-MAG's.

7. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hey kinza,i tried to get some of the maxell -4x yellow tops at office depot "USA" yesterday for myself and a buddy. All sold out. They had plenty of +4x's they code as ricohjpn01,made in taiwan.

My buddy prefers the yellow tops in his ps2. Tdk's are also great in his ps2. He says it won't play + format media so I will have to give him one of my backups on verbatim +8x made in japan Mcc003.

Those maxell yellowtops<mxlrg-02> allows me to re-rip them with nero express. The cheaper stuff won't.I haven't gotten a hold of the ty maxell's yet,but my buddy got some at the same staple's that I bought them from a few weeks ago. All mixed together.

8. jay33

jay33 Regular member

Make sure when buying the Maxell that you get the Japan made discs. All my yellow tops (TYG01) are made in Japan.

9. kinza

kinza Regular member

thanks for the quick response. Since the nearest Office Depot from me is 88 miles away I was thinking about just going to Wal-Mart and showing them the ad. You think that will work?

10. jay33

jay33 Regular member

Wal-Mart will price match. I actually bought some of these from my local Wal-Mart prior to buying some more from Office Depot. Just showed the ad and they price matched without question.

11. kinza

kinza Regular member

thanks!

12. yeardley

yeardley Member

Couple weeks ago I'd got some yellow-top Maxell dvd-r, 15-spindle from Wal-Mart and they were TY01's (4x).

Went to get some more today and in the same external packaging all they had were gold-topped ones (8x) dvd-r. Just ID'd them and they come out as MXL RG03's. I'm trying to research those right now, as there's plenty of info on RG01's and 02's, but not sure about these 03's yet although what I've read so far is that they're fine.

I know this is walmart and not office depot -- but according to jay33 walmart will price match, which is sweet to know. Hey do you go to the regular checkout counter to price-match or do you have to go to the customer service/returns counter?

Also, anybody know anything about these MXL RG03 dvd-r?

Thanks

13. swervin

swervin Regular member

I've been leary of buying any of the gold tops not knowing what they may be. It's good to know they are made by Hitachi-Maxell though. I guess the only way to find out if they are any good is to burn some. Check back and let us know how they do.

Mike

14. jay33

jay33 Regular member

You can price match at any register...just show them the Office Depot ad.

I bought some of the Maxell gold DVD-r's and they are the same, RG03's. I've burned 4 of these so far and no problems at all. They seem to be good quality and will burn 8x, where as the Yellow tops only go 4x.

15. fancymojo

fancymojo Guest

mine were mxlrgo2 the go3's suck the dye on 10 of them had chips towards the end of the disks and two of them had some sticky stuff on them thats 12 out of 50 didnt even try burning w/them i gave them to a friend

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2005
  16. yeardley

yeardley Member

Thanks for the help.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2005
  17. fancymojo

fancymojo Guest

DUDE I TOLD HIM THEY WERE BAD AND HE STILL WANTED THEM! I WAS JUST TRYING TO HELP ON THIS TOPIC IF YOUR GOING TO BE AN AZZ ABOUT IT THEN DONT POST AND KEEP YOUR DUMB REMARKS TO YOURSELF

18. kinza

kinza Regular member

Last edited: Jan 22, 2005
  19. jay33

jay33 Regular member

The Maxell gold tops aren't bad. I burned 2 more last night and not a sigle problem.

20. yeardley

yeardley Member

Alright I'm sorry fancymojo. Maybe I was a jerk in the last post.

To second jay33, I burned a gold-top MXL-RG03 last night and all was fly.