1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question about MS06-061 MSXML Core service update

Discussion in 'Windows - Virus and spyware problems' started by mkybul, Apr 17, 2007.

1. mkybul

mkybul Member

Hello, I'm fairly new and I hope im in the right location. Every time I turn on my computer I receive an update notice from BigFix about this update "MS06-061: Vulnerabilities in Microsoft XML Core Services could allow remote code execution (KB924191)" I have looked it up on the MS website but I can't make sense of the article or its relevance. My question is, is this a real critical, must have update? Nothing has happened to my system withoutit so far. Is it ok to update from the Big Fix website? I have been hesitant to do so b/c I don't know what it is or its purpose. I have downloaded all recommended updates from windows updates as they come up but this one only comes from BigFix. Can anyone provide some insight or recommendations on this? I would greatly appreciate any feedback. I am running WinXP Home Edition with SP2 if that means anything. Thanks!

mkybul

2. K_Mitnick

K_Mitnick Member

Well, it would seem you're a customer of BigFix, because as far as i know, only paying customers get to use their "security" software.
    So you probably have their service software installed.
    I will PM a moderator and ask them to move this to the anti virus/anti spyware forums, because i have a feeling it will get the attention it needs there.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2007
  3. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Moved.

4. mkybul

mkybul Member

K_Mitnick- Thanks for the reply. Yeah, BigFix came pre-installed with my computer software. I don't know if thats a good thing or bad thing. I never purchased it seperately and I don't know what it does or if BigFix is necessary. Anyway, I will wait for a response from the anti virus/anti spyware forum. Sorry I posted in the wrong forum, i wasn't sure what this classified as. Agian, I appreciate your response.

Mkybul

5. bkf

bkf Guest