1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

question about ps2

Discussion in 'PS2 - DVD backup discussion' started by syoganai, Apr 23, 2005.

1. syoganai

syoganai Member

Hi, I wasn't really sure where to post this but, I have figured it will be most appropriate to post this question in this section of the forum, so please pardon me if you don't find this topic relevant.

About a year ago, my brother was working off overseas in south korea in the us army and he came back to the states with a ps two that was modded. He brought couple of burnt games and they all seemed to work. So when he had to leave again, he left this ps2 with me and I haven't been using it much at all till recently. But recently my friend wanted to borrow couple of my ps2 games and in case something happens to the originals, I wanted to create a working back up of my games before I lent him anything. Now, the question I have is if there is any specific process of burning games for different kinds of modchips. I also read that not all games are compatible with the older modchips so I wanted to know what would be the way to get around that. And if there are discrepencies with modchips, how would I be able to identify the modchip and the version of playtstation I have? Oh the reason for the latter question is because I am having problems playing any normal dvd movies on this ps2. I don't usually collect movies, so I haven't been able to notice it until now, but this modded ps2 can play my brother's backed up games that he had bought from korea as well as any original ps2 games, but it can not play original dvd movies (i haven't tested out any burnt dvd movies or foreign dvd titles).
    Lastly, if older mod chips create problems, would it be wiser to just buy a new modchip and remod the ps2?

I know I'm bombarding you guys with alot of questions, but I would greatly appreciate anyone who can answer these questions. I also tried searching but ended up without any clear answers, so pardon me if I have overlooked any of the older posts.

2. Mik3h

Mik3h Regular member

Hi there, first of all, there is no way that I know of to check which modchip WITHOUT opening up your console.
    I assume that you KNOW how to backup games and NO there is no need to back up a game in a specific way for your modchip, they should all just work the same.
    Personally, I think you SHOULD just get a new chip and re-mod it (after asking for your brother's permission ;P) this way you'll know what features you have, and how it works.
    Regards to the dvd's... you say they don't play.. do they not play at all, or do they play in black and white or with big squiggly lines all over the screen?
    Please get back to us. ;)

-Mike

3. syoganai

syoganai Member

my ps2 does not detect the discs at all, I tried with a number of different movies but they all seemed to not play. Therefore, I thought maybe this ps2 is from korea so it can't play us dvds and hence I'd like to know what kind of version my ps2 is. Oh and also, I don't mind opening up my console, (though it will be my first time doing it). Please let me know if there are any tips or things to watch out for when opening up the console. I also have read in the forums that it is very difficult mod the ps2, but one of my friends have told me it's pretty simple modding the ps2 with the instructions the modchip comes with. I wanted to know what your take was on that opinion.

Finally I've read the forums in burning the games, but I just wanted to double check, because I was a bit confused about patching the ps2 games. I've read that when using the swap magic you have to patch your games, but some games you don't have to. I've also read that in the newer swap magic discs, you don't have to patch nearly as many games because it comes with a patch in it already (i'm just assuming the mechanism to not patch the game is already in the disc) then does it mean it works the same way as the mod chip? So for an old modchip, since it can't play certain games you need to patch it?

4. hursty

hursty Active member

thats because when you mod a ps2,they normally have several boot modes,

u may have to put the ps2 in dvd mode,
    try putting the ps2 in standby mode(red light)
    then hold eject for about 2 seconds,
    insert dvd movie,then press eject to close

see if it plays

5. syoganai

syoganai Member

Well, thanks alot hursty for your response, but unfortunately my ps2 could not read the dvd movie disc after trying what you have told me to do. I still go to the screen with "browser" "system configuration" screen. Once i go to the browser my ps2 finds no disc. I was wondering if there is any other methods... Once again I really appreciate you guys for helping me with this issue and I know many of you are busy, so thanks for sparing your time.

6. hursty

hursty Active member

when u put the dvd movie in,it shouldnt go to the browser,
    it should just play,
    u need to find out what modchip u have,then search for the instructions using google,
    the only way to do this is to open the ps2 and have a look,and see if you are lucky enough to have a chip that has the name printed on it

to find out what version it is,look at this

Version 1 - SCPH-30001, 10 screws on bottom of case, serial no. starts with "U1"
    Version 2 - SCPH-30001, 10 screws on bottom of case, serial no. starts with "U0"
    Version 3 - SCPH-30001, 10 screws on bottom of case, serial no. starts with "U2"
    Version 4 - SCPH-30000, 30001, 35001, 30002, 35002, 30003, 35003, 30004, or 35004, 8 screws on bottom of case
    * Version 4 (Gap/No Gap) - the difference between v4 "Gap" and v4 "No Gap" illustrated
    Version 5 - SCPH-30000R, 30001R, 30002R, 30003R, 30004R, or 30006R. Also, some SCPH-30000, 30001, 30002, 30003, and 30004 models have a V5/V6
    Version 5 & 6 - the difference between these two versions illustrated
    * Version 7 - SCPH-39000, 39001, 39002, 39003, 39004, 39008 or 37000
    * Version 8 - Only in Japanese consoles. SCPH-39000, or, SCPH-39006 (GH-022 BIOS 090)
    * Version 9 - if you have SCPH-50000, 50001, 50002, 50003, 50004, 50006, or 50007 you have a v9 or v10 board.
    * Version 10 - SCPH-5000x, with date code "3D" to the right and below the serial number on the back of the console. (GH-026 board)

on some ps2's,if the ps2 is from another country,it may need a regionX dvd boot disc,which will allow u to play dvd's from all regions,
    having said that it should play them anyways,just in green!!!

if you can copy a movie,i would try that,and remove the region code from it,making it region free

and btw ,its not esay modding a ps2,its very fiddly

7. syoganai

syoganai Member

heh, thanks once again hursty for your response. I will identify the ps2 i have as soon as I get home. But for the modchip, how would i be able to tell which modchip it is? and is it tough opening up the ps2?

8. hursty

hursty Active member

the only chance you have is to open it,and hope the chip has a name on it,
    its fairly straight forward to open it up,
    just take your time