1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question about setup disks

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii / Wii U' started by johnb1987, Oct 29, 2007.

1. johnb1987

johnb1987 Member

Ok, so I have never had any reason to create the wiikey setup disks as I was always able to back up games with no problem. However, I am now reading about how I may have to create an update disk of some sort to fix my Wiikey to play SMG. I thought that I might go ahead and try to create the setup disks just as practice to get used to how to install the updates from the Wiikey site. I have downloaded the 1.9b update file, and the 1.3 disk file. I have NTSC Wii and I have the firmware updated to the second to the last one I think. (The update that put a clock on the Wii menu screen?)

I have the instructions of how to create the disks in these readme files that came with the downloads, but I rememeber reading a while back about an update that stopped the setup disks for the Wiikey from booting up. I also remember reading about how the "GCOS" method got you around this. I have searched the forum but I am unable to find an answer. Can anyone let me know what I should do before burning these disks and trying them?

2. johnb1987

johnb1987 Member

3. johnb1987

johnb1987 Member

Meh, not sure whats going on. I created a GCOS multi-disc with the 1.9b update and the 1.3 setup disk. It boots fine. I had some trouble with updating the Wiikey to 1.9b, but found a trick to work around the problem on the forums. (It was saying test failed, check connections) But I got past it and now the Wiikey is updated to 1.9b.

The 1.3 setup disk loads and I am able to see all of the options. I attempted loading the SNES emulator, but all that came up was a fuzzy screen and I had to reset the console. I went back to the 1.3 disc and tried another option, the media player. I got a grey screen with green two green lines? Okay, so I reset again and go back to the 1.3 disc. I go to wiikey configuration. I am able to toggle the options on/off. I turned the region free on, and saved the settings. I reset the console, and go back to the Wiikey configuration to see if still had saved, it didn't. Does anybody know what the problem is?

I read some posts about having to turn the wiikey to region free on first with the 1.2 setup disc, then you can boot the 1.3 disc. But I am not having problems booting the 1.3 disc, just keeping the settings saved (Also the emulator/mediaplayer do not work). Plus the Wii is only updated to 3.0U. Like I said in my original post, I don't need any of these options for anything and my backups all work fine, I was trying to figure all this stuff out incase I have to do some more updating to get my Wiikey ready for SMG and newer games. If anyone could help me I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

4. johnb1987

johnb1987 Member

Ok, so I did some more research/reading and I understand that it is actually saving the settings when I toggle region free on/off. It just apparently doesn't look like it had been saved because of the "stealth" mechanic.

I am going to assume that my Wiikey has been succesfully updated to 1.9 - I am able to load the 1.3 disc and I will assume that If I wanted to, I could take advantage of all of the options there.

The only thing that weirds me out is that it won't load the snes emulator or media player or the other options. I don't need them anyway but it makes me think that I am doing something wrong. Any who, I am confident that I understand how to update the Wiikey and when the team releases another update (to fix SMG and newer games) I will be able to update the Wiikey successfully.