1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question about the Arctic cooling Freezer 7 Pro

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by LDee, Aug 10, 2007.

1. LDee

LDee Regular member

I hope sammorris will answer this as he has one I think and he originally advised me to get one, but obviously all comments are welcome.

I want to buy one from here:

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/prod...hvd19wcm9kdWN0X3Jldmlld3M=&product_uid=105994

The issue is, a few reviewers have said it's very big and to make sure you have space where the psu is. The case for the system I want to get this for is pretty small:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?TabID=1&ModuleNo=49050&doy=search

I have about 2.5cm inbetween the current intel stock hsf for the e6400 and the psu, about 8mm on the other side (heatsink on the northbridge is there). Then to the back I have 1cm because of the exhaust fan on the back of the case (I could put that on the outside of the case if needs be, making 3cm more, total 4cm to the back) and opposite that to the front I have about 4cm before I get to the ram. I have about 12cm from the top of the fan to the side of the case.

If it wasn't clear, all of the above measurments are from my current stock hsf to the objects around it. I see it aligns nicely, blowing the hot air out the back (fan at front near ram), but I can't tell from the size dimensions (because it's asymmetrical) if it would fit in with my psu.

Also, some people are saying the fan is loud, some are saying it's so quiet they can't even tell it's running, in your experience?

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

As someone who obsesses over PC noise, I find the Freezer 7 pro at full fan speed obtrusive and annoying, but not deafening, it's quieter than a lot of coolers at full speed. At 70% it's quiet enough to stomach, at 55% it's quiet enough to be barely audible over nothing. It really depends on how loud the rest of the PC is, and how tolerant you are of noise.
    If you get one, Download speedfan and reduce the fan speed to around 70%, it'll still cool very well. (As in, I can play games in a hot room for several hours with my case fans at below their minimum speed, and my CPU which is overclocked by 70% won't overheat)
    Now, you may have space for the cooler in that case, but I doubt it'll work with the vent tunnel to the case fan. Bear in mind that cases like this are pretty terrible for cooling, and are usually the cause of high temperatures. However, if it's only your CPU that's overheating, getting this will probably solve the problem, just keep an eye on the temperatures of everything else.

3. LDee

LDee Regular member

I'll definitely be taking the tunnel off anyway. You think it will fit without the tunnel then?

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

It should do, it's not that much bigger than normal coolers.