1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question about the lumines hack!!!!

Discussion in 'Sony PSP - Mod and firmware discussion' started by Andy_C, Jun 30, 2007.

1. Andy_C

Andy_C Member

I got told about the whole lumines thing today by a friend and what he thought it was for is to basically run isos by using the lumines UMD instead of doing the whole firmware changes to play isos.

I'm really confused now as to why people are putting the lumines hack on their psp's then downgrading.
    I thought the major upside to this hack was to be able to use the official psp firmware updates but still be able to play isos from the memory stick and homebrew stuff making it a completely safe way to be able to play isos and homebrew on the psp without changing to older firmware versions.

I'd really appreciate an answer to all this without being flamed as i have only just started to research all this.

Thanks in advnace.

2. CKhaleel

CKhaleel Regular member

They need Lumines to downgrade.

3. Andy_C

Andy_C Member

But for someone who is getting a new psp would they just need to apply to lumines patch to get isos working off the memory stick???

4. Andy_C

Andy_C Member

Just to let you know, i am googling this subject but cant find what i'm looking for. Fact is everyone on the forum was a n00b at one point it's people helping other people that let everyone know what's what, so if people are meant to google everything why have a forum? I understand that you should always try and find info before asking which is what i try to do but i find this is the easiest way for info as there seem to be loads of people who know what's going on.

I just want to know if lumines unlocks the ability to play iso's on any firmware or is it just a homebrew unlocker?? Is the custom firmware still the only way to play isos directly off the memory stick??

Thanks.

5. glenquag

glenquag Regular member

Well it only works on 3.50 and below and in a day or two they will have 3.51, Which it won't work on.

6. staxx

staxx Regular member

Calm down man. This stuff was just released less than a week ago, so you probably wouldnt find too much in depth info on this situation.

To answer your question tho, you need to downgrade to 1.50 using the lumines game to unlock the ability to play iso's. You can find the info and downgrader here... http://www.noobz.eu/joomla/news/downgrader-for-psp-v3.50-firmware.html

I wouldnt suggest using 1.50 for iso's tho because you would need to use a program called devhook to allow this function which is a huge hassle. Rather, i suggest using 3.03 oe-c or 3.40 oe-a for your iso's because everything is just drag, drop and play. You still need to downgrade to 1.50 to get to those custom firmwares though.

7. Andy_C

Andy_C Member

So basically the lumines hack is just to unlock homebrew on all firmwares and is a downgrade tool for firmware 3.50?

What is puzzling me now is why i would have to downgrade to 1.50 to be able to use 3.40-OEA?
    I'm guessing all new psp's come with firmware 3.50 so wouldn't i just be able to downgrade to 3.40-OEA by using this lumines hack?

I really appreciate all the help i just need a few more answers.

8. CKhaleel

CKhaleel Regular member

the 3.40 oe-a installer is technically homebrew, and only 1.5 can use homebrew.

9. Andy_C

Andy_C Member

don't worry this should be my last question on this matter for now and i really appreciate all the help but i don't want to annoy anyone.

To get roms working on the psp just seems like way too much hassle, i mean there's a chance i could brick the psp on my birthday messing with the firmware which will not make me happy.

I heard about the lumines hack today purely by chance speaking to a friend and he advised me to check it out as he told me that people are using it to play iso's from the memory stick no matter what firmware you have which obviously gets rid of the risk of bricking the psp. Is this just a mix up on his behalf? This is really the only question i need answering. If there's any way to play iso's on the psp without messing with the firmware then i think i will still get one for my birthday. If messing with the firmware and risking breaking the psp i don't think i'll bother.

So if someone could give me the best possible answers then i might not have to bother anyone again but apologies in advance if im back on the forum tomorrow asking questions :p

10. staxx

staxx Regular member

Well, in my opinion...all these warnings about bricking your psp while downgrading is just a bunch of bs. You have as much chance bricking your psp using sony's firmware upgrade as you do using team noobz downgrader. Just have to follow the instructions that comes with the downgrade file and you will be good to go. The entire process will probably take you 30 minutes cause your not familiar with everything so you'll have to take your time

Anyways heres a link to the instructions on how to use the downgrader if you want to take a gander.
    http://www.pspbrew.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8427

11. Andy_C

Andy_C Member

I'm going to get a PSP now which will already have the custom firmware 3.40-OEA installed :) no worries for me on that front but i do have 1 last question.

I know there are a few versions of custom firmware so what are the advantages and disadvantages of each?
    My main goal right now would be to be playing iso's on my psp on my birthday simply by dragging isos onto the memory stick.
    With the 3.40-OEA firmware i know this is possible but what is the homebrew compatibility like with it?
    Do people make homebrew specifically for the different firmware versions?
    Bottom line, if i feel the need to want to play stuff like snes on the PSP would i have to keep changing firmwares in the future to keep up to date with the homebrew scene? If i wanted to just play PSP iso's im guessing this is the perfect firmware for this and i would never have to change it?

Thank you :)

12. staxx

staxx Regular member

3.40 oe-a is the latest custom firmware...yes you can play iso's on them by dragging and dropping into a file. Yes all the emulators work. Sometimes with newer firmwares not all homebrew is compatible, but the devs are always updating their stuff to make it compatible and to fix minor bugs.

You will eventually have to update to a newer custom firmware in the future as newer games require newer firmware. But you should be fine for a good while.

13. Andy_C

Andy_C Member

Wiked :) thanks very much for that!

As long as i can always upgrade straight to the new firmware or go to 1.5 from 3.40-OEA and then to the new one i should be okay, i just didn't want to brick the psp on my birthday :p

Thank you very much for your help.

14. coffeebot

coffeebot Guest

I just want to put in my 2 cents and say thanks to you all. I've been browsing forums, and this is the first one where everyone kindly helped out everyone else, without burning them for being a noob. Very helpful and friendly place here. Thanks.