1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question about Verbatim...

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by Divinus, Dec 18, 2004.

1. Divinus

Divinus Guest

I have a question about some Verbatim media I plan on purchasing. I'm not sure if you are familiar with the store, Hudsons, but it's sort of a trashy store where they buy out the stock from big named suppliers whose stores have had some kind of accident (natural disaster, fire, etc.). Hudsons sells everything at the original store price, but over time will have discounts of 50% off to 90% off. Not to long ago they got a huge electronics stock from a big named store that was hit by the Florida hurricanes this past season.

I was in there snooping around and spotted a Verbatim 50 pack that was originally priced for $50, with 70% off; which makes it $15.

These media are DVD-R and say Datalife on them. I was looking for Datalife PLus, as I thought I had read somewhere on here that they were the best media Verbatim sold. Although, I am sure I didn't see the "Plus" on the cakebox.

I'm just looking for some insight here on the experiences anyone has had on the Datalife series or if there is any difference between the Datalife series and the "Plus" series.

If these are good media. I'll probably end up going ahead and spending $60 and get 200.

Thanks for the help in advance.

2. bardie

bardie Regular member

I have used both datalife and datalife plus and I could not tell the difference.
    Verbantim is one of the better media you can buy, so if it were me I would buy the lot.......but of course you will have to do what you have to do.

3. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

I have yet to come a cross bad Verbatim media. Even the CMC Verbatims I had work perfectly fine. :)

I would say grab them up fast before someone else does.

4. Divinus

Divinus Guest

Nah, there's well beyond what I could buy. I'd say approximately 200 or so spindles.

Let's just say that where I live people are more interested in shot guns and hunting than DVD-Rs, lol.

I should wait until they're 90% off. They'll still be there.

5. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hello divinus, I am using 3 different types of verbs. The data life 8x , 4x, and movie quality 4x. All these are + formats. I got 3 spindles of data life +4x with 30 discs,2 spindles are coded ricohjpn01, 1 spindle mc002.Identical cakes,different manufacturers.90 discs for $32.00 All these are performing great,however my step son's ps2 will not play them.Other than this 1 issue,they are ok. The 8x's are branded and moviequality are performing flawlessly.I have not come across any cmags so far and hope not to. $60 for 200,if they don't perform,ebay them. Later

6. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

saugmon
    If your step sons PS2 is older it will only play -R DVD's I believe it's ver 4 and older.

Happy Holidays All!! :)

7. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hey bbmayo,My step son said his ps2 is at least 2 years old maybe 3? I haven't made any more backups using the verbatim medialife +4x for him to try out. He has been playing the Verbatim +8x .I even burned it at 8x. I don't know it it was verb media life/medialife plus,because I lost the label. The +4x digital movie also play great for him.I got a new benq 1610 and will attempt to try the +4x's for him to try out. He usually gets like a "no disc" inserted error.This new burner is playing on every stand alone in both + and -, where my other burner had a few issues . I even had a buddy at work who said his stand alone player will not play +. I proved him wrong.He's a memorex only user,lol .....Later

8. jonjakjam

jonjakjam Regular member

@saugmon

The Verbatim Data Life plus 1x-4x work fine on my PS2 (version3) for movies and backups.
    never had any problems with them.
    If they dont work on your step sons PS2 and he's getting disc read errors, his laser may need adjusting.

hey I know my stand alone also only plays minus, but the +r Data life play perfectly on it?!
    Other +r brands give "no disc" messages on my standalone but play fine on my PS2...?!
    Its got to be the Verbatims =)

9. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hello bbmayo jonjakjam, I am on my last cake of 30 pack verbatim datalife dvd+r 1x-4x. These are coded mcc002. The other 2 "nearly identical" cakes were coded ricohjpn01. I will take a test disc from each of these off of my benq and try in stepson's ps2. I also have some others to try out in it,: Mxlrg02,sony d11,sony 0401,and different brands that are coded ricohjpnr01 which inclued teon,sony, and maxell +4x.I mostly prefer + because of my TV stand alone burner is + only. These should narrow down my stepson's issue on the verb + 1-4x.He thinks they are thicker for some reason.,I am having no trouble playing any of these discs in all my stand alones since I pulled out the new Khypermedia for the benq. Later

10. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Just got back from my step sons, His ps2 played everything I threw at it ,that I mentioned in last post, with the benq burner. Even the verb datalife +4x "ricoh" that he said was thicker. That is the media he could not play from my other burner. It even played my home dvd recorder and both, old memorex +rw and tdk +rw. Benq 1610, not bad for a $40.00 burner.Happy holidays to all