1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question about video resolutions....

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by georgeluv, Apr 3, 2007.

1. georgeluv

georgeluv Regular member

ok, i download lots of xvid encoded avis that are usualy around 650 by 270. i then encode them to 704 by 480 m2v for authoring dvds.

i think i remember somehwere that an avi thats around 640 x 270 is 1280 x 720 when converted to tv pixles or soemthing... i was wondering if this is correct or not because i just got a ps3 and if i am indeed downloading videos that are half hd im going to start encoding them into hd format and usuing ulead dvd to make blu ray compatable dvd-rs with hd video on them.

if im wrong ill just keep encoding them to sd dvd format.

2. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

I never head a similar thing.
    I only know that DVD pixels aren's square but rectangular dipending on its type (16:9 or 4:3) whereas AVI pixels are square and threfore:

1) if the movie is 16:9, you must resize the movie into a (16*Nx9*N) movie. For instance, 720x480 --> 640x360 EXACTLY, even if that conversion shoukdn't keep aspect ratio.

2) if the movie is 4:3, the movie must be resized to a multiple of:
    640x480 for NTSC
    640x576 for PAL

The inverse procedure is identical. You'll create a DVD with square pixels, and therefore a resize which keeps aspect ratio will have to add black borders.
    For instance:
    650x270 ==> 720x(720/650)*270 = 720x300 + 160 pixels of black borders

Using an AVISynth scrypt (reading that scrypt, which we might call "MovietoDVD.avs", coincides to opening C:\folder\your_movie.avi and resizing that movie):

AviSource("C:\folder\your_movie.avi")
    LanczosResize(720,300)
    AddBordders(0,80,0,80)

I don't know Blue Ray discs....

Last edited: Apr 4, 2007
  3. georgeluv

georgeluv Regular member

i use tmpgenc xpress 3 AND 4, usualy what i do is i just resize the video to fit my tvs precise overscan, so i do thr 704 setting and the edge of my tv only shows to about 640, so sometimes i can cheat and not resize the videos at all and just encode it and it goes a load faster and still looks great. just when someone else watches it on their tv they might see very small black lines on the side of the picture if their tv has very little overscan. my tvs overscan is veyr bad, like 7% or something.