1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question about water coolers?

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by tetris999, Sep 16, 2007.

1. tetris999

tetris999 Guest

1. Are they better than fans and heatsinks?

2. Do you have to get hoses and extra equipment?

3. Does the water used in it is recycled? or do i have to ask the plumber for this part? (meaning that i need to have my computer near a water source

anyway, im asking this because im buying this water cooler for my AM2 CPU (2.8ghz AMD 64 FX)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835108093

since this is a water cooler, what can i expect the temperatures of the cpu to drop down to, and in your opinion how much can this water cooler bring down my chosen cpu's temp so i can over clock it to very high level.

thanks for reading! and thanks for the help if you reply :p

2. Waymon3X6

Waymon3X6 Regular member

dude, thats just a cpu block! You need a radiator, a pump, and a resovoir, and tubing... That CPU block wont do anything except maybe act as a heatsink for a couple minutes untill it gets to hot and your system crashes.

But to answer your other questions, water cooling is way better than fan cooling. Its more efficient, but then again more expensive. It also is very quiet.

The water used in water cooling actully isnt water, its a coolant that usualy incorporates antifreze and anti-allage fluid, that that if a hose has a leak, your graphics card could get a bath but it wont smoke it because all coolants formulas make sure their not electically conductive.

The water sits in the resovoir, then goes to the pump, then the radiator which cools it and the to the CPU, chipset, and GPU (you can even add the HDD too) and then it goes back to the resovoir. The cycle goes over and over.

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Water cooling is a closed circuit system, meaning that the water you put in it stays in it. PC water cooling systems are not connected to mains water. Additionally, they do not often use water, they use water-based coolants, for the simple reason that they can be non-conductive, anti-algae, anti-bacterial and anti-corrosive. Water cooling is usually better than heatsinks, but more complex. It requires a reservoir, pump, tubing, blocks, a radiator, and optionally a drain valve.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2007