1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question about Xbox 360 HD DVD player

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by algtz1, Feb 14, 2008.

1. algtz1

algtz1 Regular member

I just got the 360 HD DVD player. This thing plays HD DVDs beautifully. But when I played a normal oringinal DVD it played it at 480i stretched. Does this player not upconvert to 1080i? I did some searching and the only thing I can come up with is that I currently have the xbox hooked up with component cables. Can this be the reason? My xbox is the newer one with a hdmi port. Do you think if I go out and buy a hdmi cable will the HD DVD player now have the ability to upconvert my original DVDS?

2. Smurff

Smurff Regular member

Q: Will the HD DVD player upconvert current DVD titles

A: If you use component cables, the player will not upconvert DVD titles. If you connect a VGA cable between the 360 and the TV set, you can upconvert your DVD titles to 720p, 1080i, or 1080p - depending on what your TV supports

Q: What resolutions can the HD DVD player play back HD DVD titles at?

A: If your 360 player is connected via component cables, then you can play back at 720p or at 1080i.

--this is old stuff but it was all i could find.

so i would assume that via HDMI it will upconvert as well, being as thats some of the info i've read stated, nothing really clear. (u can get a cable for around $10 from places like fleet farm or the likes.

3. MrXbox90

MrXbox90 Guest

Did you know when you bought the HD DVD player that most of the studios are now backing Blu Ray and everyone is predicting Blu Ray won? Hope you got for dirt cheap. Read this
    http://www.afterdawn.com/news/archive/12950.cfm

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2008
  4. 98sohc

98sohc Regular member

i know sorry to say, but no one waste their money on HD-DVD players, why do you think they dropped the price by almost 50%, might as well start buying ps3's, that is you best bargain for a blu-ray player....I CAN'T BELIEVE I JUST SAID THAT!!

5. algtz1

algtz1 Regular member

I could careless if they stop making new hd dvds. I paid $50.00 for mines and if it can be used as only an upconvertor I am happy with that.

*Update* I went and bought that 360 hdmi/rca/combo that they sell for $50.00 hoping it would upconvert all my dvds to 1080i. Well, it upconverts (I guess) but it looks pretty crappy IMO. I see a lot of pixellation. (is that common?) The 360 hd dvd allows 3 display modes: native, letterbox, streatched. The native looks the cleanest but only shows as a smaller screen inside my big screen with a black boarder all around making my 65'tv look like a 42" tv. The letterbox and stretch modes don't look good at all as they look extremely pixellated.

6. steimy

steimy Active member

Sounds to me like you should have just bought a regular upconverting DVD player then. On a TV like that you need to have a 16:9 widescreen screen size mode for it to look as it should. And no it should not have a bad picture, especially if you are using an HDMI cord. I have played a DVD or two in the 360 (not the HD-DVD add on) and the picture was really good even through the stock component cables.