1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

question about...........

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by skoalmint, Jan 18, 2005.

1. skoalmint

skoalmint Member

i have lots of DVD-R's movies and they work on my ps2 and my old DVD player ( 2 year old)..but the movies dont work on my two new dvd players. it says something about a regniol code or something like that.what could it be?

2. RussReef

RussReef Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2005
  3. skoalmint

skoalmint Member

ok if i do that will i be able to still play them in my old dvd player?

4. RussReef

RussReef Guest

The short answer is: YES. You'll only change the settings on your NEW drives/players. Don't mess with the setting of you OLD drives/players if they're already working with your DVD collection.

The point is: region settings are a function of your MEDIA. You want to set the region of your new optical drive to THE SAME REGION that your DVD collection is in.

If you're in the United States, 99% of your DVDs are going to be Region 1 discs. So, you need to set the region settings of your new optical drive to Region 1 (Thus, you'll have a region settings match between your media and drive).

If you're in a different country (i.e., Europe) then it's likely that your DVDs are not region 1 discs, and you'd want to pick the correct region setting for your particular country/region.

Alternatively, you could just make your new drives region-free. Look here to do that:
    http://www.digital-digest.com/dvd/articles/region_software.html

It's more complicated... So, if I were you, and were living in the United States, I'd just go ahead and change the region settings of your new drives to region 1. If you mess up, you still have 5 or 6 times to change your region settings back under windows.