1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question abut MPEG Audio

Discussion in 'Audio' started by Rowlff, Mar 6, 2003.

1. Rowlff

Rowlff Guest

I am trying to download some mp3 files from a band website. My computer will only save them as MPEG Audio files, so I can't burn them onto a cd. This just started happening recently, and I don't know why. Does anybody have any ideas how to fix this? Is there a way to convert MPEG Audiofiles to mp3?

2. tigre

tigre Moderator Staff Member

This sounds strange to me. Are these files named e.g. verynicesong.mp3 on this band website? What did you use to download them - have you tried something else (Download manager, another brownser)? Is MPEG the file extension (song.MPEG)? Can you play back these files (with what player)? Have you tried just renaming them to mp3? Do they work then?

3. Rowlff

Rowlff Guest

Yes, the song is named verynicesong.mp3 on the website. I'm just dowloading it like I would any other file, Download Manager, right clicking Save Target As and saving it in the file of my choice. I don't know how to download it any other way, and my computer won't let me save the file as anything but an MPEG Audio file. I can play the file using Realplayer and WIndows Media Player, but my cd burning software will only record wav and mp3 files. I haven't tried renaming the file or using a different browser. I'm not sure I know how to do either of those things.

4. tigre

I guess your OS is some version of Windows. It seems like they *are* mp3 files, but your explorer only shows file extensions of unknown file types. (So the filename in explorer detail view is just verynicesong, but without extension like .mp3 or .wav - right?) If you go to the directory containing the downloaded files in dos window, what extension to you see?If this doesn't work try to make your windows explorer show all file extensions (can be set somewhere in explorer -> view -> options or similar).

5. Rowlff

Rowlff Guest

I have Windows ME. The file start out with the extension mp3, and then it somehow converts to mpga. The file does have an extension and it it mpga. My problem is that this didn't used to happen. I could download mp3 files from this website onto my harddrive and they would stay mp3's. I don't know how to find dos window, and I couldn't figure out how to find all file extensions in Explorer. Could this have something to do with the website I'm getting this from? I don't have problems downloading wav & mp3's from other websites.

6. tigre

Yould you say what website it is? (Or PM me about it if you think it's no good idea to post for some reason)

7. Rowlff

Rowlff Guest

Yeah, it's www.soulvation.tv. I'm trying to download a couple of songs from the media section.

8. tigre

Ok. These files, e.g. http://www.soulvation.tv/global/media/LovetheOne.mp3 are extended as .mp3. If I download them (rightclick -> save as) they're on my harddisk as mp3, e.g. e:\download\LovetheOne.mp3. They play fine in any player I have and I can burn them to audio CD with Nero.
    I noticed one thing: Encspot tells Encoder: Thompson MP3Pro Encoder; 96kbps CBR 44.1kHz Sampling rate ... . They show a cutoff arround 11.5kHz no matter if I decode them with a software that is capable of mp3pro or not, decoders that are supposed to report if it's mp3pro report nothing. Conclusion: Either it's mp3 encoded with mp3pro encoder (Why shoud someone do this @ 96kbps?) or it's mp3pro and somehow broken. Anyway ... I have the strong feeling that your Windows "knows too much" and messes things up trying to help you handling those files.

So Rowlff, if you want to burn these files to audio CD -
    1. get some easy-to-use decoder e.g. LamedropXPd -> http://audio.ciara.us/rarewares/files/lamedropXPd-s.zip
    2. Install and open it
    3. Drag'n'drop the downloaded files on the symbol and they will be decoded to wavs that you can use for burning your CD

If you want to find out how to make windows show these files as mp3s ask some techie friend/relative of yours to do what I posted before with your Windows ME settings.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2003
  9. Rowlff

Rowlff Guest

Thank you so much for you help. I got tech suppor to help me figure out why I couldn't rename the files, so now I can do that. Now I can just change the file to mp3, and play it and record it. I still don't know why it's converting in the first place, but I believe you're right about my computer "knowing too much." Thanks again for all your help.