1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question and Suggestion re Determining True MP4 Size

Discussion in 'Portable audio players' started by LdyEsq, Jan 23, 2009.

1. LdyEsq

LdyEsq Member

Newbie, here. Long: please bear with me. Question: I was given my China (I believe: no maker ID anywhere) MP4. Touchscreen, 3 buttons at the bottom, boots to "Mini MP4 Player", then screen categories: music, video, photo, FM radio, text, record (voice and from FM radio), explorer, game, and settings. Accessories are headphones and USB that also plugs in to wall adaptor. 2 Gig minicard not included. Like most everyone, only problem is getting video to play. Booklet says it will take AVI, MPG, MPEG, RMVB, VMV and DAT converted into AVI format. Fujtsu and (2) Rockchip standard disk drives, HL-DT-ST DVD-RW GWA-0482N DVD/CD-Rom drive. "Sees" file on explore but not video touchscreen, and does not play any video. I've read all the posts about this kind of problem, tried several video formats, sync'd them in via Media Player on XP, and nothing has worked (I don't know what it does or would do if/when it *does* work <grin!>). So, what to expect if it does, and is this supposed to be an AMV format, given what the booklet says? [BTW, the booklet also says the headphones are the antennae for the radio: if the channels do not work properly, "please try to stretch your ears so that the signal effect will be better." <lol!>]
    Suggestion: Me being technically ignorant, to determine how large the drive space is -- if it will "see" any files (music seems to be less of a problem in most of the posts I've read) does it work to load it with less than a Gig; then add more files until it a "drive full" or some other such message appears? I loaded almost a Gig in music, then loaded a movie (~2.5 Gig), making more than 3 Gig on it. Then I started Media Player, went to the movie, and scrolled the time bar to the end (the whole movie was there). To be sure loading the movie hadn't "written over" the music I had loaded, I checked those files and the properties on them to be sure all this info was still the same as before I loaded the movie. Also, I noticed in "Settings", going to "System", then "About" that it says for the internal Flash Memory, "472/3949MB". Because it looks typed, I'm not sure if that's trustworthy in all of these little buggers, but it seems to be true for mine.

2. Mez

Mez Active member

As I said a dozen times before limit the numeber of syncs you do with a Chipod. I wouldn't risk movies on one of those you have to sync for each movie. You might have 5 - 10 sycs before it dies. If you think you are more lucky than everyone else and descide to play movies anyway, most chipods play AVIs.

Now to answer your question, in file explorer right click on the chipod look under properties it will tell you how much space your computer thinks it has. This is the most relyable number you can get.

The USB adapter is the most valuable part of the Chipod.