1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question concerning homebrew / 3.03oe-c

Discussion in 'Sony PSP - Mod and firmware discussion' started by UncleRage, Feb 5, 2007.

1. UncleRage

UncleRage Member

Greets -

Okay, so last week I bought a refurbished PSP off ebay. (Of course, in pre-toy happiness I also splurged on a few games, accessories and a 4 GB card). Once it came in, I logged into afterdawn for a few hours of research and proceeded to handle the firmware down/upgrade.

First, the details: non TA-082 mobo. Firmware on the system was 2.6, I upgraded to 2.71, down to 1.5 and then a clean 3.03 oe-c. This all transpired without issue. Upon completion, the system boots fine, loads ISO's and (most) PSX w/out a hitch. Once done, I formatted my card and started with the fresh 3.03 oe-c.

Now, the issue: With the exception of DGEN, I cannot get a single emulator to load. I have tried the following setups:

Boot into 1.5 with emulators in /PSP/GAME/ - No joy.
    Boot into 3.03 with emulators in /PSP/GAME150/ - No joy.

I first put DGEN into /PSP/GAME150 and it loaded without issue, ROMs loaded without issue, gameplay rocks. Nothing else, however will load, instead showing a "Corrupt Data" icon/label on the screen and telling me that it won't load.

I've currently tried SNES9xTYL, Apple II Portable, PSPVise and NesetrJ; all with the exact same results in both settings.

As ISO's, UMD's, PSX eboots and DGEN all load, I've got the feeling that I'm handling it right... Also, transferring video over leaves me with movies that I can watch, MP3's play fine, pics work, browser browses, etc... so this leads to my question:

Can anyone point out something I may have done wrong in the setup? Is it possible that the install was not as flawless as I thought? I've made sure to browse for the obvious answers and search for the not-so-obvious ones, but I'm still left scratching my head.

Thanks in advance --

rage

btw - great forums here. Lots of good info. Without asking, you guys have already been most helpful.

2. UncleRage

UncleRage Member

Looks like I answered my own question... so as a note to anyone else who suffers from the same issues:

I upped to 3.10 oe-a and was still having the same problems. So, I formatted my card and reinstalled everyone... lo and behold, it worked (Apple II Portable, SNES & Vice).

I'm not sure if it was because I had installed an emulator with two corresponding folders (i.e. emulator / emulator% ) into a parent directory (i.e. /PSP/GAME150/Apple/pyae & pyae%) or not, but all is joy now (Well, Apple II Portable crashes at "hard boot" to a show stopping blue screen, but SNES and Vice work).

So, there it is. Capt. Clumsy slowed on down and figured it out. =D

3. DockVader

DockVader Member

Which SNES Emu are you using and how does you file path look now?

P.S. will be a little bit before I go up to 3.10 OE-A, do you like it better?

4. UncleRage

UncleRage Member

I'm currently running SNES9xTYL 0.42me and the directories are in the following structure:

x:\PSP\GAME150\snes9xTYL\(DATA | FAQS | PROFILES | ROMS | SAVES | EBOOT.PBP | s9xTYL)

x:\PSP\GAME150\snes9xTYL%\EBOOT.PBP

In fact, all of my emulators (with the exception of dgen) are split into emulator directory & emulator% directory Also, I'm booting from the 3.10 kernel.

As far as my overall impression of 3.10 oe-a vs. 3.03 oe-c; I'm very happy I made the switch. And I say that as one of the non-bleeding edge adoption cats. (Really, I've got AM2 slotted 64x2 production workstations that continue to run Win2k and linux boxes that I haven't even upgraded to the 2.6.x tree yet.) If it's not broke, don't fix it; that's what dev boxes are for.

But seeing as how I picked my PSP up as a refurb off ebay for $130... ;)

In this case; however, I'm glad I did. Now all the emulators run (great) and I can happily play Below the Root& (Beyond) Castle Wolfenstein wherever I go. =D

5. UncleRage

UncleRage Member

btw - just read your other post. Congrats on the new addition!

I'll fire up a stogey over a glass of Eagle Rare tonight in your honor.

6. npdyna

npdyna Regular member

@UncleRage,

welcome to AD dude, its great to have a newbie to the forum who has obviously thought about what they choose to post, and is well informed and clearly a nice guy. Glad to hear all is well with you emulators now.

Peace out.

7. UncleRage

UncleRage Member

@npdyna

Thanks for the welcome. This looks like a great place to be and I'm thrilled to have found it.

@all

Final note concerning my emulator adventure:

If anyone is having problems with Apple II Portable crashing, don't perform a Hard Reset (of the emulator) on first boot -- it will hard crash (as in blue screen and a necessary force restart of the PSP). Instead, press "O" at the main screen. This (appears) to load the required Apple ROM and performs a sanity check. At this point you can mount disk images and Hard Reset as required.

I'm not sure if that information is in a read me anywhere, as the versions I have come across haven't included them, so disregard if it's redundant information. ;)

I realize that this last info would be best served over on the homebrew forum; but as it concludes my original question, I figured it'd be better for completion to include it here in case anyone is searching for similar info.

Have fun.

/rage